The roman Collar

• Thread starter Thread starter RomanRyan1088
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RomanRyan1088

Are Catholic Priest the only ones who wear the Roman Collars and the black suit, or does another religion?

I was meaning to post the same question!

A few weeks ago I attended at wedding (Lutheran- WI synod) and the pastor wore black garb and a Roman collar-- my wife thought he was a priest!! What’s up with this?

Itr is not at all uncommon, and certainly not a cuase for scandal. Clergy of many denominations wear clerical clothes like the black suit and the white round collar. Nobody has a patent or a copyright on that type of apparel. It simply happens. Many clergy don’t wear distinctive garb. Many do. There’s nothing “up” with that - it’s just a fact of life, and has been for many, many years. It has never been an exclusive “Roman” Catholic thing.

Charis kai eirene!

I’ve certainly seen Episcopal and Orthodox clergy wearing very similar clerical dress to Catholic priests. I’ve also seen a Lutheran minister wearing a similar type of collar, but with a powder blue shirt. I think Servant1 is right - there’s no patent on this type of thing.

I’ve also seen seminarians (after their first vows), deacons, and (I think) non-ordained religious wear the Roman collar in one form or another. So I don’t think it’s reserved just to priests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back