The Salesian Order

• Thread starter Thread starter bknebel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bknebel

Hello!

What do y’all in the Forums think of the Salesian order at present? I know they are founded by St. John Bosco and are in the spirit of St. Francis DeSales, etc, but I was wondering what you all think of their modern members, charisms, behaviours, etc.

Thanks!

I don’t think it helps unity in the Body of Christ to single out an Order to “fish” for controversial stories.

In support of the Salesians, I have limited exposure but that exposure is good.

In Sydney, we have Fr Chris Riley who for two decades has worked with homeless children on the streets of Sydney. He works with the ones that agencies reject and he has a high success rate in getting them off drugs and releasing the chains of child abuse. He is recognised in Sydney as a living saint, is in full communion with Rome and BTW - he always wears his collar… I have heard him speak at our parish a few times too - there are no flies on him. Conversions come through his efforts.
youthoffthestreets.com.au/

I have also had lengthy communications with two priests in India who supported me in a very serious issue by organising 100 masses for my intentions in the matter. Their holiness was God given.

Luke

I’m not ‘fishing’ for any stories. I’m considering the order as a possible vocation. I wish to know if they are worth persuing.

Thanks, bnebel, I had steered clear of this thread pretty much for the reasons LukeQ mentioned, so clarifying helps. Unfortunately the latest scandal is sometimes the first and last thing that stays in mind. I don’t know much about the Salesians aside from newspapers, but I encourage you to Google them and contact them for more info. Sometimes you can tell a lot just by how they respond to your request.

40.png
bknebel:
I’m not ‘fishing’ for any stories. I’m considering the order as a possible vocation. I wish to know if they are worth persuing.
The best thing to do is to get to know them on a personal level.

That is what I did in my vocational search.

I am sure that they have a vocation retreat. Get in touch with one of their vocations directors.

bknebel - As my mother use to tell me when I fell over, (when I was knee high to a grasshopper), “Woops a daisy”. My appologies as I fell over again by thinking you meant something that you did not. Sorry.

I hope and pray your research into the Salesians is fruitful 🙂

Luke

Hi I’m from the Philippines, the Salesians are great. They have a great deal of devotion in taking care of the young. Like you can talk to them in the campus whenever you want. With that order, you should know that you must like talking a lot to children. Don Bosco named his order after St. Francis of Sales because of his CHARM and cool manner, and he wants his Salesians to emulate the best traits of St. Francis. That’s why a lot of my alumni very much admire and thank the Salesians because they would take care of the young like how a good mother takes good care of her.

If you are a Salesian, just like what Don Bosco said “you must also have great devotion to Mary and you will see what miracles are.”

Thanks, all.

I just want to know if this is an order worth joining. I have been in contact with them, but its always good to get an idea of what people outside of the order think of the order.

By the way people got jumpy I’m wondering if there is something I need to be worried about in regards to this order?

Dear bknebel,

If you are referring to me, yes I was a little but it has nothing associated with the Order. I have a personal fixation at the moment around division in the church and I incorrectly reacted to your first posting through a wrong interpretation.

Please, please please, do not let my reaction form any part of your discernment in this case.

Take care and God bless,
Luke

Luke,

Its all okay. I am on your side. I am very upset about divisions myself. I belong to a parish that is always worried about one parish group ‘competing’ against the other. They are also doing their best at attempting to chase out a very Holy pastor.

Has anyone worked with the Salesians closely? Are they an order that I should bother looking into more? Would this be a beneficial way of life, or should i just keep persuing my teaching degree as is, and then debate between priesthood and teaching?

Thanks,

Basil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back