The Sign Of The Cross?

• Thread starter Thread starter Exporter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Exporter

I have been watching at Mass when people arrive and make the sign of the cross. Some say we are “blessing” ourselves.

I counted 7 different ways of making TSOC. Some of them show no catechesis. They just bless their nose. Some seem to think the faster- the better. What have you seen?

I’m glad that there’s a post like this. When I went to a Catholic high school, monthly Mass, held in the gym, some girls (all girls school) would barely cross themselves at all. Some did it quickly; there was one I saw who, I call this the Michael/Janet Jackson move, she did up/down with the palm of her hand, then looped her arm around carelessly to her shoulder (through the air), as in, not really determining her hand, which now the palm was facing left, to aim to her shoulder, and brought it around to her right shoulder. It really looked like a dance move. She wasn’t the only one I saw do that.

However, just today, when I knelt down before Mass (actually, opening hymn was being sung), I’m not sure I really crossed myself properly because I was more concerned about my dress and kneeling in it.

I see some people dip their fingers in the water and then not touch their face or body just doing the motion. The air sign of the cross. I don’t think they want a wet forehead.

I didn’t know that there was a correct way of making the sign. I am just about to start RCIA. For those of us who are converting can you go into further detail?

40.png
deb1:
I didn’t know that there was a correct way of making the sign. I am just about to start RCIA. For those of us who are converting can you go into further detail?

You asked, so here it is.

With your index finger and the middle finger held together, first you touch the middle of your forehead. Then touch the breastbone (sturnum) then your Left Shoulder and finally your right shoulder. In my part of the country most will lightly kiss the right thumb as it forms a cross when it is held over thew index finger.

Exporter said:
You asked, so here it is.

With your index finger and the middle finger held together, first you touch the middle of your forehead. Then touch the breastbone (sturnum) then your Left Shoulder and finally your right shoulder. In my part of the country most will lightly kiss the right thumb as it forms a cross when it is held over thew index finger.

I am really surprised that some do it another way.

“They just bless their nose.” Has anyone elese witnessed this? How disrespectful and lazy can people get?. Nevermind, I already know that one.

An interesting question! I have always loved to watch folks make the sign of the Cross, as everyone seems to have their own style. I love to see the Italians and the Latinos do it, because they seem to be very reverent when doing so and they bring their fingers to their mouths at the end with a kiss. Beautiful. And then there are those who do it very swiftly and in a very small space right at their sternums. There are those who cross themselves slowly with much feeling, and the Slavs who go from left to right. I actually feel very blessed we Catholics have this outward sign of our faith and devotion to Our Lord.

Then touch the breastbone (sturnum…
Out RCIA instructor taught us to go lower, to the diaphram or even the belly. The sturnum is too high for the foot of the cross and you end up just making an upside-down “T.”

40.png
NightRider:
An interesting question! I have always loved to watch folks make the sign of the Cross, as everyone seems to have their own style. I love to see the Italians and the Latinos do it, because they seem to be very reverent when doing so and they bring their fingers to their mouths at the end with a kiss. Beautiful. And then there are those who do it very swiftly and in a very small space right at their sternums. There are those who cross themselves slowly with much feeling, and the Slavs who go from left to right. I actually feel very blessed we Catholics have this outward sign of our faith and devotion to Our Lord.
I come from an Italian family but never picked up that practice until I started spending time in Italy with my relatives there. The funny thing is that no one I’ve asked seems to know exactly why they do it, although one of my Italian cousins had the best explanation: it is like kissing the feet of Christ on the cross.

Some Italians will kiss their thumbs after making the sign of the cross - my friend whose grandparents were from Sicily taught her to do this. Also, if you watch Italian soccer, many of the players who have won the national championship will cross themselves & then kiss their ring finger & raise it to heaven in a salute.

There is an excellent book just out by Bert Ghezzi called The Sign Of The Cross. In it is given several meanings for the sign of the cross:
  1. A confession of faith…I believe in Father, Son, Holy Spirit
  2. A renewal of baptism…a renewal of covenant
  3. A mark of discipleship…a declaration that I belong to God
  4. An acceptance of suffering…pick up your cross
  5. A defense against the devil…hands off, I belong to God
  6. A victory over self-indulgence…can control anger, temptation, impatience
After reading this book (or these reasons) it makes a person pay more attention to how the sign of the cross is made. Unfortunately, people can do it without any thought of what it means. :o

There are not over a hundred people in the U.S. who hate the Catholic Church.
There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church
  • Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

At my school I’ve seen this tons of times:
forehead, chest, shoulder, shoulder, kiss cross, followed by a huge HAIR TOSS with the hands.

40.png
stellina:
I come from an Italian family but never picked up that practice until I started spending time in Italy with my relatives there. The funny thing is that no one I’ve asked seems to know exactly why they do it, although one of my Italian cousins had the best explanation: it is like kissing the feet of Christ on the cross.

Some Italians will kiss their thumbs after making the sign of the cross - my friend whose grandparents were from Sicily taught her to do this. Also, if you watch Italian soccer, many of the players who have won the national championship will cross themselves & then kiss their ring finger & raise it to heaven in a salute.
Hello, stellina! Lucky you, being Italian and getting to spend time in Italy! I have actually seen Italians kiss their thumbs, too, as well as how the athletes will cross themselves and then kiss their ring finger and raise it up to Heaven! I love to see them do it. I think your Italian cousin has a good explanation–that the Italian style of crossing oneself is “like kissing the feet of Christ on the cross.” It seems to me I recall reading something somewhere on these forums about how it may have come from kissing one’s Rosary. I always thought it symbolized receiving Holy Communion, but I have no idea where I got that idea!

If the thumb touches the index finger and the thumb is kissed, then some feel they are kissing the cross. From old times when men were horseback for days - they had no crucifix.

40.png
Exporter:
If the thumb touches the index finger and the thumb is kissed, then some feel they are kissing the cross. From old times when men were horseback for days - they had no crucifix.
I do this as well, and for me it is a way of kissing the “nail” wounds of Christ.

I kiss my hand, then go forehead, lower chest (just above my diaphragm), outer left shoulder, outer right shoulder. I added the “outer” because most people I see go to right outside their chests. My way of returning the “I love you this much” Jesus Christ gives me as he lays outstretched on his cross.

*pro-life_teen*:
At my school I’ve seen this tons of times:
forehead, chest, shoulder, shoulder, kiss cross, followed by a huge HAIR TOSS with the hands.
:rotfl: yes, I’ve seem that one…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back