The Society of Jesus (Jesuits)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Clonereject1138
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clonereject1138

Guest
Okay, first off, I’m rather new to the whole chopped up water cooler thing, but this didnt seem to me to be along the lines of a joke or other frivilous matter, so I brought it out back.

Now, I was on Wikipedia, rahter bored, searching the dark and dank recesses of my mind when I decided to search for the Jesuits. Anyways, I come along to a section(see below) that says they have some trouble with the Church. Thus did I spake, “Huh…that’s odd.” And so I figured I’d bring it here and ask the experts.

“Within the Catholic Church, some Jesuits are criticized by some parties for being overly liberal and deviating substantially from official Church teaching and papal directives, especially on such issues as abortion, priestly celibacy, homosexuality, and liberation theology.[14] However, most Jesuits agree with church teaching on these matters. Pope Benedict XVI, like his predecessor John Paul II, has been particularly critical of the order.[15] Indeed, it is not unusual, especially in more conservative Catholic outlets, to hear calls for the outright abolishment of the Jesuit order. Thus, some may argue that the future influence of the Jesuits in the Catholic community, and perhaps their very existence, remains uncertain, while others may note that the Jesuit Order is well established in the Church and the communities where they intervene.”

Down here Im reading and click on the link for liberation theology. Given the description, it teters a little close to socialism(a bad thing, which hardly ever works cause people are people are lazy) but other than that it seems like a nice “help the poor” thing.

“In Latin America, Jesuits have had significant influence in the development of liberation theology, a movement which has been highly controversial in the Catholic theological community and condemned by Pope John Paul II on several fundamental aspects.”

So, I was a little disapointed to sorta see that the order founded by a really cool guy, Ignatius Loyola and called “Soldiers of Christ” would be frowned upon by the church. Of course, looking at the modern order, they don’t seem to exibit the whole fanatical "Pope says jump, you say “how high?” thing the founder did. Oh well. Time wounds all heels.

My question is, why does the Church not like em, so I can know why not to like em. Many thanks ahead of time.
 
My question is, why does the Church not like em, so I can know why not to like em. Many thanks ahead of time.
There was organized suppression by freemasons putting pressure on the Pope to disband the Jesuits through Catholic kings.

The Jesuits resurrected in the mid 1800’s. They seemed to be the same but from the start a heresy called Modernism infected the French Jesuits then spread through the order to the whole Church. Modernism is Secularism in the Church. Taking the great lines of the Modernist Movement in relation to the Church. We may say that under Pope Pius IX (1846 – 1878) its tendency was political-liberal, under Pope Leo XIII (1878 – 1903) mostly social; later under Pope St. Pius X (1903 – 1914) its tendency became clearly theological.

In 1907, St. Pius X excommunicated a Jesuit Priest in England, George Tyrell for the heresy of Modernism. We can define Modernism as: ‘a critique of Christian Revelation according to false premises of modern philosophies’ (cf. Cath. Encyclopedia ) or as Pius X said the “ the sum of all heresies” the list of problem Jesuits is long in 20th century: Tehard de Chardin, Karl Rahner, Hans Küng are suspect in their theology. Even Hans von Balthisar (who many think is orthodox) seems to think no one goes to hell.

In 1907 Lamentabili, condemned 65 modernist propositions: Pope Pius X added his censure that all of the errors are condemned. Again in1907 the same Pope published the encyclical Pascendi Dominici Gregis, which further condemned Modernism. In September 1910 Pius X published The Oath Against Modernism, which all clerics had to take: deacons, priests and bishops, even those in the Vatican itself, until after Vat II

The fact is that Modernism didn’t die it went underground and spread through the whole church, mainly using the Jesuits as its vehicle .
 
I can give you a little example of what the Jesuits are allowing to be taught at their Universities. Two moral theology professors from Creighton University (Jeusit College in Omaha, Ne.) published an article defending same sex unions and marriage. Titled “New Natural Law Theory and Foundational Sexual Ethical Principles: A Critique And A Proposal.” Authored by Todd Salzmann, and Michael Lawler.

The University did nothing to refrute this even after many Catholics protested. The Archbishop of Omaha, Eldon Curtis, sent a delegation of priest including himself to speak with the University President who is a Jesuit and ask them to speak with the Professors about the article and how it wasn’t in line with the Church, among other abuses. Nothing was done and was told the meeting went rather badly. The ArchBishop threatened to break ties with Creighton but I don’t see this happening. Creighton has much history and ties with prominant and wealthy Catholics in the Archdiocese.
I also went to a talk Fr, Benedict Groschel did and he said there wasn’t one Jesuit University left in the U.S. that was worth attending if you want authentic Catholic Theology.
 
This is all a real shame. The Soceity of Jesus was such an amazing order at one time. 😦
 
Clone -

It saddens me to say that as a once ‘proud’ graduate with 8 years of Jesuit education, I have stopped support the College of the Holy Cross, from which I graduated. The school allowed the “Vagina Monologues” to be presented ON CAMPUS on Good Friday a few years ago; they also invited a now well known graduate who hosts an MSNBC talk show to deliver the commencement address about three years ago; this graduate is known for his support of ‘abortion rights’ (though he is personally opposed to abortion, of course!). I have written to the president of the college and the alumni association to express my displeasure with the direction that has been taken. The Cardinal Newman Society developed with graduates of Jesuit schools that have taken that turn also, and I am now a member of that organization also. St. Ignatius of Loyola, pray for us!!!

Chuck
 
Please remember there are many good and holy men in the Society of Jesus, men who are faithful to the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Two notable examples are Father Mitch Pacwa of EWTN fame, and the late Father John Hardon, who wrote many books, including an excellent Catholic Catechism in the mid-1970s, and an exceptional Catholic dictionary.

'thann
 
Yes, there are few good Jesuit holdouts, but most are as liberal as they can get. I would never encourage my children to attend a Jesuit University for fear of them being indoctrinanted by anti-Catholic garbage.
 
I only know personally one Jesuit. He scares the pants off me with his loosy goosy theology and his blatant disrespect for the sacred. Contempt for anyone who takes the faith seriously. I really dont get it,. he seems to be hostile about so many things. Poor guy. But all one needs to do is ignore them now. They have no power anymore. There are other stronger organizations in power now. Jesuits are most likely jealous but relieved they dont have to be the big players anymore.
 
“May Mary continue to watch over the Society of Jesus so that every member may carry in his person the “image” of the Crucified Christ, in order to share in his Resurrection. I assure you of my remembrance in prayer for this, as I willingly impart my Blessing to each of you present here and to your entire spiritual family, which I also extend to all the other Religious and consecrated persons who are present at this Audience.” (ADDRESS OF HIS HOLINESS BENEDICT XVI TO THE FATHERS AND BROTHERS OF THE SOCIETY OF JESUS, Vatican Basilica, Saturday, 22 April 2006)

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2006/april/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20060422_gesuiti_en.html
 
I think if St Ignatius of Loyola, a tough little (short) Basque-Spainard confronted the current Society General in person I would LOVE to hear the chew-out (see Gregory Peck in 12 O’Clock High for the ultimate, on screen, non vulgar chew-out)
 
While it’s certainly true that a large number of members of the Society of Jesus appear to have lost both their faith and their minds, the Order itself still demands what it always has, and there are also a great many faithful and intelligent Jesuits out there - it seems as though there is no middle ground with them; either they are completely crazy, or they are completely orthodox. Unlike other orders of priests, where you often find those who faithfully go through the motions of their order without really understanding what’s going on, you’ll never get that with a Jesuit - either they’re totally Ignatian in their spirituality, or else they’re practically apostate.
 
I think if St Ignatius of Loyola, a tough little (short) Basque-Spainard confronted the current Society General in person I would LOVE to hear the chew-out (see Gregory Peck in 12 O’Clock High for the ultimate, on screen, non vulgar chew-out)
That and St. Aloysius Gonzaga throwing a fit after a professor assigned us an extremely permissive book to read for a linguistics class.
 
Bah! My wife is a Catholic today, BECAUSE of the Jesuits at St. Louis University. The 10 PM Sunday night Mass is breathtaking. Envision a church of about 1200 capacity filled with college students. Picture a Mass concelebrated by seven Jesuits, complete with adult acolytes and a thurifer. There were bells, and the music is magnificent.

RCIA was great I was my wife’s sponsor (fiance, then) so I came down to Chicago for some of the classes. They’re the best of the best.

Plus, I was curious about something concerning Cardinal Avery Dulles, so I e-mailed him at Fordham, and he ANSWERED me.

John
 
Bah! My wife is a Catholic today, BECAUSE of the Jesuits at St. Louis University. The 10 PM Sunday night Mass is breathtaking. Envision a church of about 1200 capacity filled with college students. Picture a Mass concelebrated by seven Jesuits, complete with adult acolytes and a thurifer. There were bells, and the music is magnificent.

RCIA was great I was my wife’s sponsor (fiance, then) so I came down to Chicago for some of the classes. They’re the best of the best.

Plus, I was curious about something concerning Cardinal Avery Dulles, so I e-mailed him at Fordham, and he ANSWERED me.

John
Good, I would love to see the Jesuits make a comeback. 👍
 
Jared 123,

So happy for both of you and your families! I just wish they would stop by my Chicago Parish if they get a moment to do so. It sounds like it would be a good thing!🙂
 
I too have had respect for St. Louis Univeristy and have thought that they have avoided the dissent at other “Catholic” universities. However, there was an item in the news in October that made me wonder. The university wanted some millions of government money to build an arena. The local Masonic lodge took this to court, insisting that St. Louis is a Catholic school and that it is illegal for government money to go to a church university. However, the university’s lawyers maintained that St. Louis Univeristy is not governed by a religious creed, and in fact they were able to prove this to the court’s satisfaction, and the university won the case on that basis.
Good, I would love to see the Jesuits make a comeback. 👍
 
Bah! My wife is a Catholic today, BECAUSE of the Jesuits at St. Louis University. The 10 PM Sunday night Mass is breathtaking. Envision a church of about 1200 capacity filled with college students. Picture a Mass concelebrated by seven Jesuits, complete with adult acolytes and a thurifer. There were bells, and the music is magnificent.

RCIA was great I was my wife’s sponsor (fiance, then) so I came down to Chicago for some of the classes. They’re the best of the best.

Plus, I was curious about something concerning Cardinal Avery Dulles, so I e-mailed him at Fordham, and he ANSWERED me.

John
I am more of a practicing Catholic now than I ever was before because of Fordham’s campus ministry and the wonderful priest in it’s staff. He lives on my floor in the dorm too. My best friend and roommate is a theology major and love it here. She had the opportunity to interview Cardinal Dulles for a paper and he was more than happy to speak with her. I even met him once and shook hands.

The Vagina Monologues are done here every year too. But how is it any different from a Jesuit college doing Faustus or Macbeth? I am sure they do sometimes.

Neither the student body nor the faculty are all Catholic. That wouldn’t be possible. There are professors here who are liberal too. But considering the intent of the Jesuit education, being well-rounded in the liberal arts, we’re not well-rounded unless we are exposed to different angles of thought and viewpoints. By now we are old enough to judge if something is hokey or not.
 
I know of a Jesuit priest who thinks a boy having a boyfriend is ok, that they can kiss, as long as they don’t engage in sex. This is quite shocking to me. I respect this priest, but I disagree with him. What does the Church say about this? Do Catholic morals seem to differ from priest to priest? This is not good because it leads people into confusion. Doesn’t the Church have a standard for what is sin and what is not?

But I think it is safer not to generalize.I also know of a Jesuit priest who celebrates the Eucharist solemnly. I just hope and pray that the Church will fully be one in truth, as Christ is in the Father.
 
This is in regards to the question just asked about homosexual acts between boys.
Perhaps this quote from the “Catechism of the Catholic Church” will help: “homosexual acts are morally wrong because they violate God’s purpose for human sexual activity”(Glossary).
 
But that also implies that relationships between men which is intended to be more than friendship is also illicit? Even if it doesn’t involve a sexual act, since both involve a unitive objective, even such a relationship is immoral, right?

Sometimes, I just get confused when some priests have different interpretations of morality. Is this true? How can some priests be classified as conservatives, others, liberals? But I’m sure the Church still has the final stand regarding these matters, regardless of personal opinions.

But really, that comment wasn’t intended to be generalized to the whole Jesuit order. In fact, I don’t really know what the Jesuit stand is. All I can say is that the Jesuits here in our country really developed their music ministries well. I really admire the liturgical songs they composed. I must admit that their songs led me to take my the Catholic faith seriously.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top