The start of life and advent

  • Thread starter Thread starter JosephJohn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JosephJohn

Guest
I came across this somewhat bizarre prochoice argument and I don’t have as strong an answer to it as i’d like.

If human life begins at conception why do Christians celebrate the nativity of the lord rather than the annunciation as the feast of his incarnation. Now maybe we don’t celebrate Christmas as the feast of the incarnation but if that’s the case shouldn’t advent lead up to the annunciation not Christmas. I’m betting I just lack a strong enough understanding of the seasons to explain this but I’m kind of stumped with my current understanding
 
Birth is an important part of life too. It is the first time a child is revealed to the world.
 
If human life begins at conception why do Christians celebrate the nativity of the lord rather than the annunciation as the feast of his incarnation.
We do both.
Now maybe we don’t celebrate Christmas as the feast of the incarnation but if that’s the case shouldn’t advent lead up to the annunciation not Christmas.
Just because we celebrate believe life begins at conception does not mean we can’t recognize the difference between when someone was born and when someone was conceived.
 
Sorry my question Is which feast we celebrate as the incarnation. If we celebrate the incarnation on the annunciation why is advent before Christmas not the annunciation.
 
Because Advent is about the birth/coming of Christ.
Yes, I think one could say it is a celebration of the Incarnation condensed considering the seasons and feasts of the church. Otherwise Advent would be 9 months. Some say Advent is a mini-Lent, a penitential season not as rigorous as Lent (and some say it’s not 🤷‍♀️). Nine months of Advent is bit unbalanced, season-wise.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top