The Tau Cross

• Thread starter Thread starter Pious
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pious

I have a great admiration for St. Francis of Assisi and I wear the Tau Cross around my neck.

A person next to me at Mass asked if I was a member of the S.F.O because I was wearing the Tau, to which I replied no.

My question is am I entitled to wear the Tau Cross or is it exclusively for members of the Franciscan orders, the Franciscans at my parish have never questioned me about wearing it, I just would not like to offend any in the order.

Yours in the Spirit

Pious.

Put it this way: if it is exclusive to the orders, then why does every shop in Assisi sell them? I got one there for my brother & he wears his all the time, and nobody comments on it. I also went to Franciscan schools & don’t remember any of the friars or nuns wearing them. Maybe the Franciscans that you know can give you a definitive answer, but from my personal observations I guess it’s okay.

If you love St. Francis, you have to get to Assisi someday. The area is so beautiful that you really understand why he loved nature so much.

I believe there is not a restriction against non-SFO’s wearing it. I have seem many non-SFO’s wearing it myself. And yes, I do ask if they are my brothers and sisters in the order. With 1 1/2 million in the order, it is a bit difficult to know everybody, so it is always nice to meet another one.

http://www.ciofs.org/ima/phgif/defrp023.gif

The Tau Cross (pictured above and traditionally brown but can take other forms as well) is the habit of the Secular Franciscan Order, a visible sign of our commitment, just like a particular nun’s habit is her sign.

Your liking for the Tau Cross may be God’s way of calling you to look into our order more closely. Here is our main website with lots of information about the order. URL: ciofs.org/sfo.htm

T.A.Stobie:
Your liking for the Tau Cross may be God’s way of calling you to look into our order more closely. Here is our main website with lots of information about the order. URL: ciofs.org/sfo.htm
I was asked last year at the Pentecost vigil mass by a couple of ladies in the S.F.O if I would be interested in joining the order and they gave me some information on what they did.
Now I would love to have joined but I believe that according to Cannon Law I must be free of financial obligation before joining a Religious Order, and as I have 2 personal loans to pay off, it would be wrong for me to make a promise to the order at this point in time, but hopefully I will be able to join once I am free of debt.

Yours in the Spirit

Pious 🙂

40.png
Pious:
Now I would love to have joined but I believe that according to Cannon Law I must be free of financial obligation before joining a Religious Order
Only if you are taking a Vow of Poverty and the Order would be responsible for all your debts.

This does not apply with Secular Orders in the church since as we have to live in the world, we do not take a Vow of Poverty.

Having a debt would not make you ineligible to join the SFOs. In fact, I joined when under sizable debt.

40.png
Pious:
Cannon Law I must be free of financial obligation before joining a Religious Order, and as I have 2 personal loans to pay off,
If you really wanted to become a priest, I am confident that there are financial benfactors all over this country who would cheerfully help you erase your debts.

A little off topic, but I visited the shrine of the Blessed Sacrament in Alabama last year. They have a Tau cross on the top, but it started off a traditional cross. Apparently it was hit by lightning, and the top part came off. Mother Angelica considered it providential, and kept it as a Tau cross.

Just thought that was interesting.

40.png
rfk:
The MFVA Franciscans that are associated with EWTN wear a distinctive cross:
It appears like an image of monstrance (a sacred vessel that holds the Eucharist for Exposition usually in the form of a cross with the Eucharist in the center). I think Mother Angelica’s order of nuns (PCPA) wear it as well.

T.A.Stobie:
Having a debt would not make you ineligible to join the SFOs. In fact, I joined when under sizable debt.
That is interesting, thank you for that information 🙂

Yours in the Spirit

Pious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back