The Visions of Abbot Wetti and Questions on Purgatory

• Thread starter Thread starter Revelation21.3-4
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Revelation21.3-4

I was reading Einhard’s Life of Charlemagne, and in the introduction it was talking about Walahfrid Strabo, who wrote the earliest introduction to the book. Giving short introduction to him, the book mentioned a book he wrote on a man named Abbot Wetti (the book is named Visio Wetti). While reading I was shocked in that in Wetti’s visions, in spite of all the good Charlemagne did for the Church, he was shown to be in hell. Further research showed that the angel of Wetti’s vision told Wetti that it was only temporary, as Charlemagne was part of the elect (meaning Charlemagne was actually in purgatory, not hell). Now, I don’t know that anyone will be able to provide an exact answer for this, but it was a little hard to place the morals of these visions. The Church, to my knowledge, has never commented on the matter, but I found things saying it could be that everyone Wetti was shown to be condemned committed concubinage or got caught up in the lavish life of the aristocracy (many were monks or others under Holy orders, meaning they broke Holy orders), but many were eternally damned. Does anyone have a good interpretation of these visions and their morals?

If not, a moral question arose out of this for me, if someone commits many sexual sins (as those in the story did) but repents and is truly sorry for it before death, going to confession, receiving communion, and turning their life around, will they still have to make up every sin in purgatory? Can mortal sins be paid off on Earth somehow to lessen the time in purgatory or are they erased at confession? To me it gives a sense that Heaven is hard to reach, how true or untrue is this?

I’m sure there are simple theological answers to these questions, but I’m not too knowledgeable on the subject yet. I appreciate an answer to either question!

Well actually yes one can end up in Purgatory precisely because while alive did not fully repay the damage committed with our sins.
We think that sinning is an event that pertains to us only.
And unfortunately that is not the case.
Look at Adam and Eve, their sin repercussed down through history until the end of Time. So when we sin our action has consequences we are not aware of and need to atone for them.
We are to remain in Purgatory until the last ripple effect of our actions no longer harms anyone.
Peace!

Does anyone have a good interpretation of these visions and their morals?
Wetti’s alleged visions fall into the category of unapproved private revelations, which we are not allowed to discuss on this forum per the forum TOS FAQ. Therefore, we can’t discuss Wetti’s vision on here.

I would add that Catholics are not required to believe even approved private revelations, let alone unapproved ones, and also the Church has no knowledge of who is in hell and who isn’t, except for canonized saints whom the Church pronounces to be in heaven. Since Charlemagne is not a saint, we have no idea where he is.
If not, a moral question arose out of this for me, if someone commits many sexual sins (as those in the story did) but repents and is truly sorry for it before death, going to confession, receiving communion, and turning their life around, will they still have to make up every sin in purgatory? Can mortal sins be paid off on Earth somehow to lessen the time in purgatory or are they erased at confession? To me it gives a sense that Heaven is hard to reach, how true or untrue is this?
God decides how much time we each have to spend in Purgatory and how much Purgatory time the soul paid off on earth through indulgences, suffering etc.
All sins are “erased” when we confess and are absolved. The Purgatory time is meant to pay off the damage done as a result of the absolved sin.

Heaven’s not that hard to reach if you live a good life including frequent confession and trust in our merciful Lord. Remember, God wants us there. The obstacles to Heaven are mostly in our own minds and there are a lot of Catholics who seem quite married to the idea that almost everybody goes to Hell or at the very least spends eons in Purgatory. If you want to live your life with that negative view then fine, have at it, but the Doctor of the Church St. Therese has taught against it, and the Divine Mercy devotion suggests otherwise also.

Last edited:

if someone commits many sexual sins (as those in the story did) but repents and is truly sorry for it before death, going to confession, receiving communion, and turning their life around, will they still have to make up every sin in purgatory? …
In the purgatory state the immaterial soul is separated from the mortal body. Purgatory ends when the body is resurrected glorified before the General Judgment.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
The punishments of sin

1472 To understand this doctrine and practice of the Church, it is necessary to understand that sin has a double consequence. Grave sin deprives us of communion with God and therefore makes us incapable of eternal life, the privation of which is called the “eternal punishment” of sin. On the other hand every sin, even venial, entails an unhealthy attachment to creatures, which must be purified either here on earth, or after death in the state called Purgatory. This purification frees one from what is called the “temporal punishment” of sin. These two punishments must not be conceived of as a kind of vengeance inflicted by God from without, but as following from the very nature of sin. A conversion which proceeds from a fervent charity can attain the complete purification of the sinner in such a way that no punishment would remain.83

1473 The forgiveness of sin and restoration of communion with God entail the remission of the eternal punishment of sin, but temporal punishment of sin remains. While patiently bearing sufferings and trials of all kinds and, when the day comes, serenely facing death, the Christian must strive to accept this temporal punishment of sin as a grace. He should strive by works of mercy and charity, as well as by prayer and the various practices of penance, to put off completely the “old man” and to put on the "new man."84

I apologize, I completely forgot that was a rule! I will make sure to avoid such things in the future (and possibly edit this question to bring it in line with the TOS).

Thank you so much for your answer though! I really appreciate it and I trust the opinions of St. Therese, so I thank you for providing me with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back