The wrath of God poured out on Jesus

• Thread starter Thread starter dream_wanderer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dream_wanderer

I was taught this when I was a Baptist and accepted it without question. That Jesus was our ‘whipping boy’. That God wanted to punish us and punished Jesus instead on Cavalry. I’ve been reading through the New Testament and I can’t figure out where that idea came from…I really can’t find much of anything that comes even close to giving that impression!

Where did it come from? And what is the Catholic view on this?

dream wanderer

Perhaps this is a reference to the ‘Servant of the Lord’ of Isaiah 53, especially verses 4-6:

Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that made us whole, and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

I was taught this when I was a Baptist and accepted it without question. That Jesus was our ‘whipping boy’. That God wanted to punish us and punished Jesus instead on Cavalry. I’ve been reading through the New Testament and I can’t figure out where that idea came from…I really can’t find much of anything that comes even close to giving that impression!
Where did it come from? And what is the Catholic view on this?
dream wanderer
I wouldnt go so far as to say that God was wrathful toward Jesus…Jesus both the Son of the Father, and he is also equally divine, becasue he and the father are one. Jesus, as God, was the only one perfect enough to annul the sins of the world.

I agree that we desrve death for our sins. But God took on flesh to die for them (this was the wole point of Jesus becoming man). Our sins are very serious and thus need some form of atonement.

Jesus, in full cooperation with Our Heavenly Father, offered Himself for all humanity. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit cooperated together fully in this great sacrifice of Love. It was not out of anger, but rather out of love for all of us that we might have hope of eternal life, that Jesus willingly suffered and died for us.

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16

I understand this way:

All is God’s will and Jesus’ death and resurrection glorify God. All things that happen ultimately glorify and please God even if they seem bad in the temporal sense. If God had wrath it was for the sin Jesus allowed Himself to take on in His flesh, not for His eternal Son (I would think).

Greg

Hi DW! (waving from KD)

I was also raised Baptist, but don’t recall ever learning Jesus was our “whipping boy”. We were taught only that he had bore our sins but out of Love. It was to spare us the Wrath, from what I have understood.

Cairi

All the way from KD? Wow! 🙂 Hi…

Maybe it was one of the ‘private interpretations’ that varies from Pastor to Pastor but I remember clearly being told the story of European Court life and the boy whose job was too simply take the ‘whipping’ for the Prince and that Jesus became 'our whipping boy ’ instead of letting us be punished for our own sins.

But it may just have been that one Pastor…and not strictly a Baptist idea.

dream wanderer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back