Then Gospel of St. John

  • Thread starter Thread starter jspencer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jspencer

Guest
I am leading a Bible study for my family through the Book of St. John. I am using the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible with commentary and notes by Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch. What I am looking for is more sources to draw from. Maybe other commentaries on this book, or articles, etc… I have a CCC and Catholic Encyclopedia. I was thinking about other Bible (Catholic) studies might be available. Also, if anyone has the other Bible studies in this series, I’m looking for the questions for understanding and application at the end of each, so that we as a family can go through each and every book in the NT. Thank you for any help.
:)👋👋
 
The New Jerome Biblical Commentary is a place to look. It’s a bit over-the-top on historical criticism, as I understand it.

I bought it at $52 but I have seen it more recently at near $70. Perhaps your parish might have a copy that you could borrow.

It’s not a touchy-feely type commentary like Ignatius. It’s much more a technical commentary. To be sure, I haven’t read its commentary on the gospel according to St. John.

This commentary has a bit of controvery embedded in it, as it disputes that the “last supper” (a term not found in scripture) was a Passover meal (as the synoptic gospels assert).

You might browse TNJC for other articles related to that gospel.
 
Steve Ray has a book called St. John’s Gospel a Bible Study Guide and Commentary. He breaks it down verse by verse with a lot of historical facts… His website is catholicconvert.com
 
I’ve been told the Navarre New Testament Study Bible makes a great companion to the Ignatious. I don’t have it yet myself but I’m planning on buying it soon.

I also like the New Jerome Biblical Commentary (mentioned above), but it may not suit devotional study.
 
Good Call, Nita. Michal Hunt has done an overwhelmingly good job in “The Gospel of John”.

What’s amazing is that its free!!!
🙂 If I’m not mistaken, the real thanks go to you. If memory serves me right, I think it was you who first acquainted me with the Agape site.
 
🙂 If I’m not mistaken, the real thanks go to you. If memory serves me right, I think it was you who first acquainted me with the Agape site.
Ahhhh, once again my genius is recognized! :whistle:

Of course, the problem is all beatified saints shared humility, not genius. I’ll just have to keep working on that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top