Thinking the word God D__n and OCD

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bdonoho
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bdonoho

Guest
When is it a sin when I think the words: God D__n? I have developed this awful habit in my mind as a result of scrupulosity where the thought of the word comes into my mind. I have trouble distinguishing between the pink elephant thoughts and the times where a part of me almost wants to put God to the test (which I hate doing and realize that may be the reason I’m doing it).

I would almost consider it similar to this: someone tells me thinking of the color pink gives me cancer, and I immediately think of it. Then, I am told that if I think of the color blue for a minute, then the cancer will go away. I can almost compare it to this, where I am afraid of committing a mortal sin, but once I know I’ve done an act of contrition (I’m not a catholic yet so I don’t have access to the sacraments) I struggle immensely with the temptation to think the word or some other awful thought, just to see if I would assent to it (almost like a test or something). It’s done out of insecurity and fear, but I wish it would stop. I have prayed for God to take it away, and believe he will, but in the meantime, I’m dealing with it.

One other thing I’m considering is this: Whenever I commit a mortal sin, like going directly against my conscience or hating God, I absolutely know I am in this condition. With this, I am not so sure, but say an act of contrition just to be on the safe side. This however, can backfire in that I am trusting in myself instead of God’s mercy, grace and willingness to convict me when I really do step outside of his grace. God would make sure that I was aware if I committed a mortal sin right? He wouldn’t just leave me to keep doing this “better safe than sorry” stuff, right?
 
It sounds as if you have a serious case of OCD, which will relieve you of the pain of mortal sin in these thoughts. You have to want to say the words for it to be sinful. If they come into your head without your full consent you are ok. So remember, you must give full consent of your will for it to be mortally sinful. Look up the novena rose to St. Therese of Lisieux. She struggled with scrupulosity and if you ask her intercession she will help you. I know because she has helped me in this struggle.
 
If you have OCD, you need appropriate medical advice. Go to your doctor.
 
If you have OCD, you need appropriate medical advice. Go to your doctor.
👍

I knew someone with such before and it was a great struggle.

We can not get into diognosing or advising regarding etc OCD etc – (forum rules)

But here is from Jimmy Akin of Catholic Answers fame (note whatever beyond the moral that he recommends --remember he notes to see a doctor about it-- discuss it with him) --for particularly the moral aspects:

jimmyakin.com/2005/04/a_crown_of_thor.html
 
As for Scrupulosity – the age old approach is to have a “regular confessor” to direct one. Until you Catholic you can see a Priest outside the Sacrament and discuss things with him.
 
(from previous posts of mine)

Regarding unwanted thoughts

While Jesus makes it clear that one can sin in ones thoughts…just cause some lustful thought or other like thought happens does not mean that one has sinned…

What should we do with* unwanted* sexual thoughts or other “bad thoughts”…thoughts against God etc? Those pesky temptations that can come …even though we are not seeking them or doing anything to bring them etc…

Are they mortal sins?

For a mortal sin one needs a grave matter …full knowledge AND deliberate consent!!!

A. If you do not want the thought…it the thought displeases you: it can be a sign actually that you did not give any consent or do not give full consent.

B. Even if you felt a temptation for the thought – and were drawn to it involuntarily —but rejected it and maybe even turned right to God : again a sign not full consent (if there was any).

C. But what if one has a tempting thought --say of a sexual nature and even hesitated for a moment…but then rejected it for one did not want to sin?: it can be partial consent perhaps (and thus a venial sin)-- or it may be no sin at all but rather a strong temptation that drew you but then you saw what was happening and turned away.

D. A temptation can even be very strong or the thoughts very often – but this does NOT mean one has consented!

Remember --for it to be mortal there must be that deliberate consent!

What to do? on the spiritual side–relax first of all and remember the above.

Next – know that the more one fears the thoughts the more likely they are to come… or said another way --the more a person stress about seeking to avoid the thoughts the more likely he will have a problem with them.

for example: for the next 10 seconds try NOT to think of an apple.

tick tock …

tick tock…

Ok what did you think of?

Most likely an apple.

So it is best to ignore them and just not consent and then turn your attention to some other good thing…for instance whatever you are doing.
Simply do not consent and move on…

Another point – thoughts can just happen --they are the stuff with which we think…it is up to us to consent and take them further or not. And just because they are REAL VIVID and almost “think themselves” does not mean per se that one has given ANY consent.

They can be annoying…but need cause no actual harm …

(Now difficulties with thoughts can happen to anyone…and has for centuries…nothing new!..but I will note too that “some” have a condition known as OCD (I knew someone with this once…it was a painful experience)…and thus should seek further professional help to work at overcoming it and to live a more peaceful life…)

(also some suffer from scrupulosity and ought to have a* regular confessor*)

Another help…is the distinction of “first thoughts and emotions” (as Baur calls em) what they call the prima of the prima…“the first of the first” (as one of my Professors called em…he was a Dominican)…these are the first involuntary things that just come up…such are not sins. They can tempt one of course to sin…or one can then proceed to some sin…but they are the stuff of the mind and emotions which “happen to one” …and really the are opportunities for growing in virtue etc as well…

How to deal with these? First of relax…don’t scruple…don’t fear them…to try to swat them all as the come…just simply turn to other things…or the thing you are doing…or to God…(of course do not consent)…but if you are too defensive against them…they may get worse actually…and confuse you more…instead turn to God or again other good things…accept that hey…somethings wild thoughts will come to you…

(and these can happen to all of us by the way…)

There is a story from the desert of the early Centuries of the Church where a younger hermit when to an older one with the problems of thoughts happening to him all the time…the older hermit told him to go outside open his cloak and catch the wind.

The younger hermit said such is not possible…

the older hermit replied --neither is it possible to stop all the thoughts that can come to you…your choice… is to consent or not…
 
From other post of mine regarding the name of God:

As the Scholastics would say “always distinguish”

One will find that various authors distinguish between “profanity” and “Blasphemy” in using or rather *misusing *God’s name …or that of the Saints etc.

Profanity in this sense is to take what is holy and use it in a profane (ordinary) way …usually I see this as described ordinarily as a venial sin…(or perhaps even not a sin due to …inadvertance etc)

Blasphemy on the other hand is objectively gravely sinful…which in this sense would be to use the name of God in a way that expresses hatred etc towards God (more could be said but that is basic for now)

Let us “hallow” his name…let us bless it …praise it…

Praised be Jesus Christ -now and forever!
 
I knew someone with OCD before and it was a great struggle.

We can not get into diognosing or advising regarding etc OCD etc – (forum rules)

But here is from Jimmy Akin of Catholic Answers fame (note whatever beyond the moral that he recommends --remember he notes to see a doctor about it-- discuss it with him) --for particularly the moral aspects:

jimmyakin.com/2005/04/a_crown_of_thor.html
 
You guys, I need prayer. Yesterday, I was in what I believe to be in a state of grace, where I was in control of my thoughts and in a state of friendship with God. I believe that at one point in the evening, I lost control of a train of thought and it turned into a doubt that I wasn’t one of christ’s sheep (what Christ was referring to in John 10). I started then to blaspheme and I sensed that I was guilty of sin and the grace I had departed from me. I awoke tonight in the middle of one of the fiercest monsoons we’ve had all year and said the word God D–n deliberately. I’m tempted of calling this “playing the ‘damn’ game”, almost like a game of chicken with my conscience. A part of me thinks I’m having an episode of OCD right now, but it seems so different from yesterday when I seemed in control of my thoughts.

If you could all please intercede for me I really need God’s sanctifying grace. I can’t seem to hold onto it for even a day, but I need it.
 
truecatholic.us/pope/perfectcontrition.htm

Does anyone know if the points made in this article are orthodox? How do I know if I love God for the motive listed in this act of contrition? Is there anything a priest can do to help me?
Without reading the article – The SITE is regarding a “anti-pope” of sorts --one who claims he is the Pope… ignore it.

Stick with Catholic sources. Such as the Catechism:

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

Yes go see a Priest (and see my posts above – regarding if any sin at all… :)).
 
PS: regarding the grace of perfect contrition – it is important to note that lesser motives can co-exist with the motive of love of God (so just because one also fears punishment etc does not mean one does not have the grace of perfect contrition out of love as primary).

Pray to Our Lord Jesus Christ the Good Shepherd who loves you…(and knows you better than you know yourself …he knows when things are contrary to ones will…)

and seek out counsel for your difficulties and make your way into full communion with the Church 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top