Third-Order Dominicans

• Thread starter Thread starter CatholicNerd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicNerd

This week I have been blessed with the chance to visit my girlfriend for a few days (our universities are right down the road from each other but we live in separate states when school’s out). Before we met and began seriously discerning our vocations, we both felt a strong attatchment to Dominican Spirituality and toyed around with the idea of joining the Dominicans. However, after careful discernment and spiritual direction, we firmly believe that we are called to the married life and service in the world as educators. We would still like to integrate Dominican spirituality into our lives in the secular world, however. We’re both interested in becoming tertiaries, but have a few questions about the Third Order of the Order of Preachers.

The question that is first and foremost on our mind: if we were to join the Third Order before our marriage, would we be incapable of marrying each other because of our vows? I’ve noticed that the words “according to my state of life” are attatched when tertiaries make their profession.

Another question: If we were able to marry upon joining the Third Order, would we be bound by the law of perfect continence? Since we feel called to raise a family, this would present some problems…

And a final question: We are both undergraduate students at the moment and would like to attend graduate school after we get our undergraduate degrees. Would it be best to take a year off for formation before getting our masters degrees (while our parents are still willing to pay to keep us alive!), or should we wait until we’re out of grad school? If so, how to people who take time off for formation manage to keep their jobs?

I realize that these are all stupid questions, but they are issues that are not addressed in documents concerning the Third Order of Preachers. Can anybody help us out? Thanks a million!

I don’t know if you’ve tried this or not but you can go to the “Ask An Apologist” forum and ask Fr. Vincent Serpa, who is of the Order of Preachers.

Members of Third Orders don’t take vows but make a solemn promise. No problem being married. There are many of them. I would look on the internet for the Domincian Web site and ask someone on the web site. I’m sure there is a Dominican priory or monastery near you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back