Third Orders?

• Thread starter Thread starter NamedforHer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NamedforHer

Hi, Everyone—I’m pretty new here, but have enjoyed CA immensely for quite some time, and so very greatly appreciate all I’ve been learning from your discussions. I’m a protestant long-time seeker of knowledge of the beautiful Catholic faith in practice, feel like I already know so many of you personally, and have been wanting to ask: How many, if any, of you are Tertiaries? Of what order? Why did you choose it? What activities does this involve for you in particular? Has it offered you a deeper faith, greater chance to serve/learn, etc.? Is there more or less a profile of an “average” tertiary, or are they a widely varied body? Or, is it not very common for Catholics to join one? I hope this is the right place for such a question; correct me if I’ve asked any of it incorrectly! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings, M.

Always love to see 3rd Orders mentioned. Many people have increased their faith by participating in a 3rd Order. I am partial to the Franciscans. Our charism is poverty. Francis taught that as long as we have a strong attachment to the material possessions of this life, we can not have a close relationship with God. Many of the rich and famous are really very lonely people as you can tell by their multiple marriages, drug use, and suicides. If we gave up all our possessions, we would become part of the homeless problem. The answer is moderation and not seeking things that we can really do without. Also, a poverty of spirit is worth seeking. A feeling of complete dependence on God. If I go on any longer, somebody will send me a soap box. God bless,

Deacon Tony

Deacon Tony560:
Always love to see 3rd Orders mentioned. Many people have increased their faith by participating in a 3rd Order. I am partial to the Franciscans. Our charism is poverty. Francis taught that as long as we have a strong attachment to the material possessions of this life, we can not have a close relationship with God. Many of the rich and famous are really very lonely people as you can tell by their multiple marriages, drug use, and suicides. If we gave up all our possessions, we would become part of the homeless problem. The answer is moderation and not seeking things that we can really do without. Also, a poverty of spirit is worth seeking. A feeling of complete dependence on God. If I go on any longer, somebody will send me a soap box. God bless,

Deacon Tony
Thanks for your reply, Tony—I’ll be glad to provide the box! Would you mind a few more questions…Did you take secular vows? Have you found yourself increasingly able to grow in this charism, i.e. living more simply, etc.? What are your specific Franciscan activities? Do you meet regularly?

And mostly, what do you do to pursue poverty of spirit? Imagine what real treasures God could open up for humanity in a world which even started heading in this direction…do you ever think you see signs of that, even in some minute corners of civilization? (:rolleyes: Long day, and I’m definitely waxing …best to start by examining my own heart, I should think!) Thanks again.

Blessings
M

I have been out teaching Confirmation class this evening. Vows are only taken by religious and clergy. These secular orders make promises that are not considered a sin, if you don’t keep them. Poverty of spirit is living your life with total trust in God. When each new day and each new challenge in life are exciting to you, you are beginning to understand this poverty. You face your trials with a willingness to do well and a feeling that God will see you through. You are really happy most of the time and positive. I have not reached that point yet and maybe I never will, but I am striving for it. Francis went around in rags and gave what little he had to eat to others and yet he sang, and laughed, and had deep spiritual experiences. A good beginning book to introduce a person to this concept is called, “The Journey and the Dream.”

I was just elected “Minister” of our Order. Minister is a servant leader. We meet once a month. Next month we are planning a day of reflection for lent. Each member follows the charism according to the gifts that God has given. We have members that serve the shut-ins, prisoners, poor American Indians, homeless ETC. We give moral support to eachother as a family would. Also, We pray together on our meeting day and have a class on Franciscan spirituality. When I first joined this order over 10 years ago, I began giving away what I did not need. I still try to do this. One of our members only buys used cars, never new. (Even if he can afford a new one.) Each member lives the charism as the Holy Spirit leads them. May God bless you.

Deacon Tony

How common are tertiaries? Franciscans have about 800,000 down from 1 million-world wide. Even secular vocations are down.

Deacon Tony

I am sort of a tertiary. I am an Oblate of St. Benedict. Oblates are attached to a given Benedictine abbey, and live out the benedictine life of their community as best they can. Its not a separate order though, like it is with the Franciscans. The abbey to which I am attached is St. Peter’s Abbey in Saskatchewan Canada. I am on the other side of the continent from it, which makes travel to it a bit of a challenge 🙂

Deacon Tony560:
I have been out teaching Confirmation class this evening. Vows are only taken by religious and clergy. These secular orders make promises that are not considered a sin, if you don’t keep them. Poverty of spirit is living your life with total trust in God. When each new day and each new challenge in life are exciting to you, you are beginning to understand this poverty. You face your trials with a willingness to do well and a feeling that God will see you through. You are really happy most of the time and positive. I have not reached that point yet and maybe I never will, but I am striving for it. Francis went around in rags and gave what little he had to eat to others and yet he sang, and laughed, and had deep spiritual experiences. A good beginning book to introduce a person to this concept is called, “The Journey and the Dream.”

I was just elected “Minister” of our Order. Minister is a servant leader. We meet once a month. Next month we are planning a day of reflection for lent. Each member follows the charism according to the gifts that God has given. We have members that serve the shut-ins, prisoners, poor American Indians, homeless ETC. We give moral support to eachother as a family would. Also, We pray together on our meeting day and have a class on Franciscan spirituality. When I first joined this order over 10 years ago, I began giving away what I did not need. I still try to do this. One of our members only buys used cars, never new. (Even if he can afford a new one.) Each member lives the charism as the Holy Spirit leads them. May God bless you.

Deacon Tony
Thanks much again, Tony; I will get my hands on the book for sure.

Blessings
M

40.png
Dunmoose:
I am sort of a tertiary. I am an Oblate of St. Benedict. Oblates are attached to a given Benedictine abbey, and live out the benedictine life of their community as best they can. Its not a separate order though, like it is with the Franciscans. The abbey to which I am attached is St. Peter’s Abbey in Saskatchewan Canada. I am on the other side of the continent from it, which makes travel to it a bit of a challenge 🙂
I can see why! Am I right in that a Benedictine focuses strongly on family/community life, and/or education? Any reading material you could recommend? Why, if I can ask, are you attached to an abbey so far away, and how do you keep in association with them? I find this just fascinating, so I snoop…Thanks for your response, and Blessings-----M

The Benedictines are focused on Work and Prayer. They have a long list of rules for the order.

The Franciscans are focused on Poverty. God has asked me to live a life of poverty for now.

I disagree with what Deacon Tony says though. SOme things I am dependent on God for, like sunlight and clean aird and safety. Other things like Food and Shelter, I am dependent on others. Gods grace and mercy shine on those who help provide me with Food, heat and utlities. This allows me to see in God in other people.

When we have selfish inconsiderate people and I take time to help others. I am reminded of Jesus when People help us. Like a Doctor or a Vet tech or the stocker at the gorcery store.

Actually, The Secular Franciscan Order focuses on the Gospel. Our formation, our Rule, and our sirituality requires that we live the Gospel Life–going “from Gospel to Life and from Life to the Gospel”. We follow Jesus in the footsteps of St. Francis. Francis is our leader, Jesus is our focus.

The Rule we live by calls us to spiritulal poverty, humility, obedience to the Church, peace and justice, respect for ecological concerns, reverence for work, and a regimented daily prayer life. We are regularly involved in serving Church and the community, family, and each other.

We work closely with the entire Franciscan Family. A Franciscan priest, brother, or sister is assigned to serve as Spiritual Advisors to each SFO fraternity.

Our formation period is divided into three stages and totals about 2 1/2 years after which time we make our promises of profession. It is a lifetime committment. Ongoing formation is an important part of every monthly meeting. The Franciscan charism focuses on daily conversion. We do grow spiritualy through the Franciscan experience.

SFO is an international Order of Tertiaries with papal aproval and support. It is subdivided into National, Regional and Local fraternities.

The SFO National website can be reached through:
nafra.org

I hope I have been helpful.

Pax et Bonum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back