Third Orders

• Thread starter Thread starter FrankvT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FrankvT

I’ve noticed that some posters say that they belong to a third order.
What exactly is a third order? What are their purposes and obligations? And how to you join one and are there any stipulations to joining?

Great Question 👍 !

I’ve been trying to find out the same thing? I’ve looked in the CCC and didn’t see anything (but perhaps I was not looking in the correct spot!)

Third Orders anyone???

check out the many threads on Secular Franciscans, Benedictine Oblates, Secular Carmelites, Dominican Teriaries etc. Lay people join “third orders” associated with various monasteries or religious congretations for spiritual direction, faith sharing and supporting the work and charism of the order. In my case, pro-life work and evangelization which is the charism of the Benedicine monastery with which I am associated as an oblate. We meet monthly either at the monastery or in deaneries of oblates living near each other, for prayer, spiritual reading and faith sharing, LOTH and planning work to support the monastery and its undertakings.

Third orders are for those who wish to affiliate with a religious order, but not take solemn vows. For example the Fransicans have the first order for men, second order for women, and third order for laypersons. A member of a third order lives by a special rule written for the third order. They make promises of poverty, chastity, and obedience. But these promises are not juridically binding like religious vows. You can be married and be in a third order. Usually there is some formation required, living by the charism of the order, and they often wear some emblem distinguishing them as a member. The Fransicans usually wear a tau cross. Each one is unique though depending on which order they originate from. The Benedictine Oblates for example are not technically a third order. The OSB’s are one order with one rule. So oblates follow the same rule according to their state of life and affliate with a specific monastery. Membership in a third order is a great way to grow in holiness of life.

This site has many old threads on third orders. Third Orders can be religious or secular. Most of the postings on this site have been about secular third orders. These are lay people who desire to grow in their faith journey by embracing a particular charism and join with others to carry this out. I am partial to the Franciscans. They follow the charism of poverty. They try to simplify their lives, reduce material influence in their lives and help the poor. Their “Spiritual” poverty is believing that nothing can be done on our own, only through the grace of God. There are web sites for these various orders. Also, you can find out about the Franciscans at- 1-800-Francis.

May God bless you in your journey of faith,
Deacon Tony

Thanks everyone! I’ve read some of the other postings on the site but never fully grasped what the concept was. My husband and catholic friends didn’t know either - so now I can go back and tell them the answer to the question I asked them 🙂 .

👍 Thanks for the clarification! I swear I learn something new almost everytime I get on this site. I should be a genius by now - LOL!

First orders are orders of men who have taken vows and live life as a religious. i.e… Priests, Friars, Monks

Second orders are the orders of women who have taken vows and live life as a religious. i.e. Nuns

Third order are the laity attached to the order they may take a vow but do not live life as a religious.

newadvent.org/cathen/12748b.htm

40.png
gelsbern:
First orders are orders of men who have taken vows and live life as a religious. i.e… Priests, Friars, Monks

Second orders are the orders of women who have taken vows and live life as a religious. i.e. Nuns

Third order are the laity attached to the order they may take a vow but do not live life as a religious.

newadvent.org/cathen/12748b.htm
There are also some 3rd Order Regular priests and nuns in the Franciscan Order. That’s why we now are called the Secular Franciscan branch of the Third Order. It was too confusing when we were called Third order.
Deacon Tony SFO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back