Third/Secular Orders and Private Orders

• Thread starter Thread starter Ziggamafu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Ziggamafu

Hi, all.

Was wondering if anyone knew of a link to **info ** on EACH AND EVERY order a layperson can join in the Catholic Church? You know, like third order Franciscans, Knights of Columbus, Opus Dei, etc. Or even “Rules” like the Benedictine folk…I would like to know more about all of them and get involved.

Thanks!!! 😃

I can’t answer your question in detail but here is a link to a relatively new Private Association of the Faithful which lives the original Franciscan lay order rule of 1221 adapted to modern life. St. Thomas More lived this rule. It’s pretty intense.

www.penitents.org

40.png
Ziggamafu:
Hi, all.

Was wondering if anyone knew of a link to **info ** on EACH AND EVERY order a layperson can join in the Catholic Church? You know, like third order Franciscans, Knights of Columbus, Opus Dei, etc. Or even “Rules” like the Benedictine folk…I would like to know more about all of them and get involved.

Thanks!!! 😃
I don’t think there is any one source for all the groups you mentioned. For instance, the Knights of Columbus is not an order of the Church–it is a fraternal order of lay Catholic men. You may find a list of lay/third/secular orders in a Catholic encyclopedia, though.

What sort of spirituality are you looking for? If poverty and service to other is what you want–you might look into the Franciscan orders or Opus Dei. If contemplation, mysticism and the giving of your affections to Jesus and Mary is what you want, then look into the Carmelites. If truth is your primary goal, then the Dominicans would be more for you. That’s the limit of my knowledge, so I recommend a Catholic encyclopedia to help you with your search. God bless you!

This was one project that I recommended that Catholic Answers undertake and then had over to the religious order to help vocations in all orders and to the diocesian priesthood as well.

wow…this is the first time i’ve posed a question on these forums that hasn’t been able to be answered within the first few posts… :eek:

40.png
Ziggamafu:
Hi, all.

Thanks!!! 😃
There is a large order of OCDS (carmelites) that meet at the Carmelite convent in Parnell, MI, I don’t know if they have a web site.

In our diocese, a person can take private vows from the bishop. This does not happen too often, but if a person sincerely wants to live their life in total service to God(But not in community)- they can take private vows of Poverty, Chastity, and Obiedience to the bishop. Check your local diocese for more info.

Deacon Tony SFO

Sorry Detroit Sue, it only took me two months to see this thread again. 🙂 Very interesting website! I had never heard of your group. Have you been a member very long? Looks like a good group to enrich your spiritual life.

:blessyou:
Annie

lost track of this thread playing around with all the weblinx, but I think the original question was “What are ALL the various religious organizations or secular institutes which a lay Catholic can join?”. I had fun on the web and think you could get the answer, but at least for Benedictine Oblates, one of our promises is stability, which means once professed to following Benedictine spirituality and becoming allied with the monastery, we will not move to another monastery or move to another third order, or join more than one. In other words, I would not join the Secular Franciscans and experiment with them for a while, then join the Dominican Third order, and Opus Dei on weekends.

It is difficult to list every single Third/Secular/Lay Order someone can join due to the enormous amount of Societies that exist. My advice is to find what style your spirituality is and if it is the charisma that belongs to an order or society, see if they have a lay moment. I am familiar with the Benedictine Oblates, Secular Franciscans, Third Order Dominicans, Lay Carmelites, Opes Dei, and Regnum Christi (affiliated with the Legionnaires).

After some discernment, I realized my spirituality is very Benedictine, so I began my search at www.osb.org and looked at the information under Oblates. I am now an Oblate with St. Vincent’s Archabbey.

Another resource is the vocation guide called Vision. They had a very brief article in the 2003 edition about secular orders.

PAX

Dan Goulet

The online Catholic Encyclopedia found at www.newadvent.org has a list, although it is not fully together. When you go to the web page, click on the letter “T” and scroll down to “Third Order.” Among’s the definition their is information about the Third Orders that exist. If you click “O” and then click on “Oblate,” there is information about the Benedictine Oblates.

-Dan G.

Usually if you join one the rule states you can’t join another. So you have to investigate and pick the one that fits you best. There are exceptions with some of the new movements or if you are just affiliated at a lesser level. But in general it’s a good idea to find one and stick to it. I am a Benedicine Oblate, but also a Cooperator with Opus Dei. If I went further with Opus Dei I would probably have to be dispensed from my Benedictine oblation. Right now I have the best of all possible worlds, so I will probably remain as is. I really encourage people to consider joining a third order or a movement. It can really enhance your spiritual life.

Here is the complete list of approved Secular/Third Order religious groups:

Secular orders, commonly called third orders, are societies of people who wish to deepen their Christian life and apostolic commitment in assocation with and according to the spirit of various religious institutes, but without withdrawing from the world like monks or nuns. A member of a third order is called a tertiary. The orders are called “third” because their foundation usually follows the establishment of the first and second religious orders with which they are associated.

Recognized third orders are:
  • Dominican Laity
  • Lay Carmelites (Third Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel)
  • Oblates of Saint Benedict
  • Secular Franciscan Order
  • Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites
  • Secular Order of Servants of Mary (Servites)
  • Secular Third Order of Our Lady of Mercy (Mercedarians)
  • Third Order Secular of the Most Holy Trinity
  • Third Order of Mary
  • Third Order of Saint Norbert
  • Third Secular Order of Saint Augustine
Info is from another forum regarding saints. Some other groups have lay membership, such as Regnum Christi but these groups are not recognized as “Third Order.”

PAX

Dan Goulet
Oblate of St. Benedict

Looks like you did our homework. Thanks! Sadly, the Orders that take lay-associates often have more of them than regular members. Also, the number of permanent deacons in the U.S. continues to rise rapidly, while the number of priests declines. Some say it is a sign from God that he wants everyone to become actively involved in his kingdom.

Deacon Tony SFO

I have taken personal vows, but I dont know how infinetely I can abide by them. I need a new car to get around and probably a trailer, if something ever happens to my home. I need a place to live. If I have a car and a pop up trailer by my own definition I am not poor.

The Benedictines have shrunk from 50000 monastaries because they are not following their own rules. So by my best recollection I will add my own personal thoughts.

http://www.printeryhouse.org/mall/Icons/Saints/c01.jpg

Ora Et Loabora. The life of a benedictine is work and prayer but benedictines need work, food and rest. A human being can not work non stop 24, 7. People need proper rest and food so that they can work and pray. We live in a world of multitasking and sensory overload. Monks need proper time to discern the world around them. A monk should be obedient to work, prayer and God but they should not be worked to death and sickness.

These are the rules of Saint Benedict, of my on memory and accord. To be humble. To receive Humility is to be down to earth and be able to talk to people. If a person in the community is sick. He is receiving humility. treat him with comppasion and bear his load with him.

The members of the community are to be elite, above reproach, the best at what they do. Each person should live to their fullist tallents. You can not do your best, with broken tools. So each person should best use their talents to help the community be the best it can be.

http://ww2.netnitco.net/users/legend01/crow.gif

forbes.com/ceonetwork/2004/11/09/1109bookreview.html

This is an Article on how companies are using the rule of Saint Benedict. One company hired a benedictine who left his order to get married and live the rule. So they hired the monk. He said the company should have a funderal and than rename the company and start over.

“* Superior organizations are always formed as elite fraternities, with a clearly stated common purpose. Mission statements must be explicit declarations of the common purpose, as well as promises of organizational behavior.”

What is your mission Statement? What are your Goals?

"* Organizations are only as good as their people; superior organizations should not be easy to join, and the primary motivator for selection and formation is the promise of fraternity and stability. There must be no preferential treatment of members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back