C
CutlerB
Guest
I am embarrassed and ashamed to ask this question, but I need to get it off of my mind, because it’s been lingering for some time and is so central to the Faith. It’s about the Redemption.
I’m really confused about what exactly the Church’s teaching is on how the Redemption works, which I never really understood. I have all these different words floating around: Atonement, Redemption, Ransom, Satisfaction theory (Anselm) etc. I consulted the Catechism, but I couldn’t really find much helpful stuff.
What exactly did Christ’s death do? Did He pay a debt we owed, and if so, to whom did He pay it? Did He have to satisfy God’s Justice? Or something completely different?
Again, I’m really embarrassed and I hope you’ll forgive me.
I’m really confused about what exactly the Church’s teaching is on how the Redemption works, which I never really understood. I have all these different words floating around: Atonement, Redemption, Ransom, Satisfaction theory (Anselm) etc. I consulted the Catechism, but I couldn’t really find much helpful stuff.
What exactly did Christ’s death do? Did He pay a debt we owed, and if so, to whom did He pay it? Did He have to satisfy God’s Justice? Or something completely different?
Again, I’m really embarrassed and I hope you’ll forgive me.