thoughts

• Thread starter Thread starter Montie_Claunch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Montie_Claunch

I was wondering. I have been struguling with bad thoughts for some time now and have been unable to break away. I have tried avoiding things that would lead me to think on the thing and tried fighting against the thoughts with no avail and I have been going to a many relgious websites as possible, nothing seems to work. Does anyone know of a way I could tear away from it?
Please help me. Thanks and God bless.

Pick up a crucifix and meditate on the Sacred Wounds of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy repeatedly during the day, pray the Holy Rosary -especially the Sorrowful Mysteries and pray the St. Michael prayer. Stay off the internet for a few days and then just limit your time. Turn off the television for several days. Fast and due some penance (with due prudence). Focus on the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ and draw courage. Repeat the words from the Anima Christi- within Your Wounds Hide me. Focus on the crucifix and you will have your answer and will find peace.

**"By nothing else except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ has death been brought low:
Code:
  The sin of our first parent destroyed,
  hell plundered,
  resurrection bestowed,
  the power given us to despise the things of this world,
  even death itself,
  the road back to the former blessedness made smooth,
  the gates of paradise opened, 
  our nature nature seated at the right hand of God,
  and we made children and heirs of God.
By the cross all these things have been set aright…
Code:
  It is a seal that the destroyer may not strike us,
  a raising up of those who lie fallen,
  a support for those who stand,
  a staff for the infirm,
  a crook for the shepherded,
  a guide for the wandering,
  a perfecting of the advanced,
  salvation for soul and body,
  a deflector of all evils,
  a cause of all goods,
  a destruction of sin,
  a plant of resurrection,
  and a tree of eternal life."** **St. John Damascene                                                                       **

Dear Montie,

There is a word called “sublimation” — a process where we transcend the lower thought with a noble, more magnificent one. You need to find a key as to which thought will work for you to elevate your mind to a “higher” form of thinking that replaces the ignoble one.

I have a method that frequently gets me into a lot of trouble, for I am quite used to taking a contrarian stand in defense of something that presents itself to my mind. Very often I have been completely wrong about an incident, through not knowing all the motives or details. It is serious to rashly judge another. So to avoid the sin, I consistently sublimate my thoughts to trust the good intention, unknown details, etc., leaving judgment to God, especially if it is not my concern nor a matter under my personal authority or supervision.

God taught me in psalm 50, "You sit speaking against your brother; against your mother’s son you spread rumors. When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it? Or think you that I am like yourself? I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes!"

How this worked practically was, whenever I experienced a sharp indignation over another’s deeds, I caught myself and asked God, “Have I ever done THIS to another?” Almost immediately after I posed this to Him, I had remembrance of an identical time that I did the very same thing. :o There but for the grace of God, go I.

In short, it taught me not to judge, and to become a champion at defending others. And that does get me in trouble, for people generally want you to side in with their opinions.

If the thoughts you mentioned are of another nature, ask God to show you the key to sublimating them. My key was to ask, “have I done this to another?”

Blessings and peace,
Carole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back