"Throwing down a 'Hail Mary'"--?

• Thread starter Thread starter NightRider
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NightRider

Where does this saying come from?? I have heard it numerous times on TV during this last year. Someone will say something like this: *Before I could throw down a Hail Mary he hit a home run. *

Does anyone out there know how this started? I’ve never heard it in all my life until this past year–!! :confused:

40.png
NightRider:
Where does this saying come from?? I have heard it numerous times on TV during this last year. Someone will say something like this: *Before I could throw down a Hail Mary he hit a home run. *

Does anyone out there know how this started? I’ve never heard it in all my life until this past year–!! :confused:
So your team is down 6 pts, its the 4th quarter 3rd down 0:30 mins left on the clock, and your on the 30yardline. Your only chance of wining is to just make everyone run down the field, just lobe the footbal and say a “Hail Mary” for it to work. It most likely came from Catholic school that was big into sports. But its expression has been moved over into the seculer world for anything that is a long shot.

40.png
Jermosh:
So your team is down 6 pts, its the 4th quarter 3rd down 0:30 mins left on the clock, and your on the 30yardline. Your only chance of wining is to just make everyone run down the field, just lobe the footbal and say a “Hail Mary” for it to work. It most likely came from Catholic school that was big into sports. But its expression has been moved over into the seculer world for anything that is a long shot.
I’d be willing to bet it started at Notre Dame 😃

40.png
Jermosh:
Oh, ok, this makes some sense, because the part that was confusing me was the *throwing down *part! I couldn’t imagine what that meant, throwing down a Hail Mary! :confused: Thanks for your post! and God bless! 🙂

40.png
mtr01:
I’d be willing to bet it started at Notre Dame 😃
Most likely. I once read a article about how US scholastic sports systems were a product of Catholic school systems. Not sure if I could find it online though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back