Thy will be done on earth as

• Thread starter Thread starter Timidity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Timidity

In the grand scheme of things this is about as important as “mashed vs. baked”, but I’m curious. It seems everyone in my current parish says “it is”, while I say “'tis”. I want to say that this is the way I learned and the way we said it in Mass as a kid, but I can’t find any evidence that anyone else says it that way.

So, how do you say this part of the Our Father?

(Or, more precisely, does anyone else say it the way I do, or know why I say it that way?)

Hi Timidity–

My guess is that when you learned, you didn’t READ it, but simply repeated the sounds, like phonics.

As it is, spoken quickly, sounds very much like, as 'tis.

I grew up in Philly, and when I was quite little, I thought we said, “And lead us not into Penn station”. Of course, once I learned to READ, that error became obvious.

Since you’re supposed to memorize the Our Father, you probably didn’t really READ it that often, and since we tend to just focus in on a word here and there when reading something we’ve memorized, you probably didn’t pick up on the 'tis vs. it is.

Tantum ergo:
I grew up in Philly, and when I was quite little, I thought we said, “And lead us not into Penn station”. Of course, once I learned to READ, that error became obvious.
Yikes, that brings up a memorization error of mine. Anybody else think it was “hollow be thy name” when they were young? :eek:

No, “Harold” be thy name was my sister’s contribution, though.

And we all get a big laugh over the old chestnut of the child who started crying in her religious ed. class because she thought she was going to see “Gladly, the cross-eyed bear”.

Tantum ergo:
My guess is that when you learned, you didn’t READ it, but simply repeated the sounds, like phonics.
Perhaps. But I have a distinct memory of being in the back seat of my (to be) brother-in-law’s Camaro with my little book of prayers and him making me memorize them for my first communion.

Still, this is a pretty good theory, and can be compounded by the fact that I had hearing loss as a child (mom tells me “they” wanted to send me to a school for the deaf, but I don’t know if that’s true).

That’s probably it! Thanks!
Tantum ergo:
As it is, spoken quickly, sounds very much like, as 'tis.
Which is probably why 'tis is an old contraction for it is! 😃

Tantum ergo:
No, “Harold” be thy name was my sister’s contribution, though.
Hmmm, no wonder we sing at Christmas, “Hark, the Harold angels sing…” 😃
Tantum ergo:
And we all get a big laugh over the old chestnut of the child who started crying in her religious ed. class because she thought she was going to see “Gladly, the cross-eyed bear”.
Haha, I just about spit out my coffee on that one! :rotfl:

My grandmother used to call me her cross-eyed bear, and I never understood the reference until I went with her to her Methodist church, and heard and read the words of the hymn. My little brother, when we used to respond to Dominus vobiscum with Et cum Spiritu tuo, asked, “Is that God’s phone number?”

Dear friends

My daughter is three and when she prays the Our Father she says ‘Hello-ed be thy name’ and waves hello at God. She is too young to understand but sometime in the future I will correct her, even so, how cute!!

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back