Tips Regarding Forgiveness

• Thread starter Thread starter Simplyasking1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simplyasking1

Hello,

I hope you are all well! Here is a broad question: I have been struggling with both giving and receiving forgiveness lately and am wondering if anyone has tips. How have you forgiven yourself for, for instance, hurting others? Or making an earnest yet imperfect apology? How do you deal with forgiving others when they don’t think they need forgiveness?

God bless!

Last edited:
How have you forgiven yourself for, for instance, hurting others? Making an earnest yet imperfect apology?
I don’t think it’s wise to move past these types of occurrences so quickly. Instances like these, e.g. when you hurt someone else, can be excellent learning opportunities. For instance, what was it inside of us that caused hurt to the other person?

A lot of times, we permit sinful psychological elements to exist within us because we think they’re harmless, and then we don’t see the effect they have until they cause harm to other people. So when those mental tendencies finally reveal themselves for what they are, that gives us new fuel for our meditation in which we work with God to remove them from our mind, out of our sincere desire to avoid hurting others.

It’s important to recognize that we can’t change the past. What’s done is done, and we can’t undo it. Apologies and forgiveness cannot erase history. What we must do is learn from history (our own personal history) so we do not continue to make the same mistakes.
How do you deal with forgiving others when they don’t think they need forgiveness?
Jesus had the best approach here. He said,
Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. – Luke 23:34
Many people think He was referring to the fact that the Jews and Romans didn’t know they were crucifying the Son of God.

But as Jesus taught (e.g. Matthew 26:52), it would have been wrong for them to crucify anyone.

The reason the people were crucifying Jesus is because they didn’t know what they were doing. That is, because their worldview was rooted in delusion and ignorance. They could not see the Truth about Jesus, themselves, the world, or their actions.

Ignorance is fundamentally at the root of all sin. When we get trapped in anger, it perverts our perception so that we believe oppression, tyranny, and pain are justice. When we get trapped in lust, it deceives us into believing desire is love. When we are trapped in envy, we see the empty shadows of the world as having value, when the only real value can be found in God. When we are trapped in fear, we do irrational, often harmful, things to cling to a sense of security even though no real security can be found in this world. And the list goes on, and on, and on.

This is why Jesus said,
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. – John 8:44
When our mind is afflicted by sin, we are trapped inside a lie, a false, disordered version of reality. Jesus recognized that.

So as you learn to recognize that in yourself, compassion and forgiveness will start to emerge naturally, because you will recognize it in other people as well. You will see that those people who are hurting you are doing so because they are trapped in the delusion brought about by their own sin, just like you are, just like all of us.

Last edited:
Forgiving myself can be hard. There’s stuff I wish I had handled differently. I end up having to just give it to God. If God has forgiven me via confession and absolution, then it’s presumptuous of me to not forgive myself - it would be a case of “not Thy will be done, but MY will be done”. It’s God’s will that I be forgiven and my job to accept it, learn from it and try to move on.

It also helps to remember that usually I was under some big stress when I did or failed to do the things I beat myself up about, and I kinda did the best I could under the circumstances even though it wasn’t the greatest. Also, screwing things up or failing at some things is good for humility.

As for forgiving others, if it’s not someone you have a close ongoing relationship with, it’s not necessary that they think they need forgiveness, and you don’t need to discuss with them. The forgiveness is for your own spiritual perfection and growth, not for you to announce to them. If it’s someone you have a close ongoing relationship with, like an immediate family member, you can tell them you felt hurt or wronged by whatever they said or did, and leave it at that. You don’t have to be adding on, “…but I forgive you” unless they are genuinely contrite and ask for forgiveness.

How have you forgiven yourself for, for instance, hurting others?
By apologising to people I’ve hurt. It’s common to see people hurting others but they keep their apologies to God, because they want to hold onto some pride. It’s easier to forgive myself knowing I painfully humbled myself. Because at least I can honestly said I did the best I can do.

But to be honest, I rarely feel like I need to forgive myself. If anything, I ask God for forgiveness. Me feeling guilt isn’t a bad thing, and personally I find that focusing on forgiving myself can come across as a little selfish. I didnt wrong myself.
How do you deal with forgiving others when they don’t think they need forgiveness?
This is a tricky one. It’s infuriating. Something simple like ‘God help me to forgive’ may help at first.

My friend, I find this issue to be SO HARD. I used to, and still have moments, where I can be ruthless and unforgiving. I wish it was easy, but it’s not. No one can just “explain how to be more forgiving” and have you instantly be more forgiving.

One thing that really helped me was being able to forgive myself. Once I began to forgive myself it made it easier to forgive others. I’m not a doormat of course-if you act cruelly to me or stab me in the back I don’t want to hang out with you or be your friend. But I can forgive you-most of the time.

Good luck!

I hope you are all well! Here is a broad question: I have been struggling with both giving and receiving forgiveness lately and am wondering if anyone has tips. How have you forgiven yourself for, for instance, hurting others? Or making an earnest yet imperfect apology? How do you deal with forgiving others when they don’t think they need forgiveness?

God bless!
You are not obliged to forgive someone who refuses to accept forgiveness.

You are not obliged to forgive someone who refuses to accept forgiveness.
This is incorrect. We are most certainly obliged to forgive them, no matter how they react.
God directs us to forgive. He doesn’t make it contingent on the other person acting a certain way.

We are not required to continue to interact with someone who wrongs us (unless we owe them some duty, like we are their caregiver). But that’s a different thing from forgiveness. You can forgive someone and avoid them going forward.

Last edited:
This is incorrect. We are most certainly obliged to forgive them, no matter how they react.
God directs us to forgive. He doesn’t make it contingent on the other person acting a certain way.

We are not required to continue to interact with someone who wrongs us (unless we owe them some duty, like we are their caregiver). But that’s a different thing from forgiveness. You can forgive someone and avoid them going forward.

Scroll down to Preemptive Forgiveness.

I disagree STRONGLY with Jimmy Akin on that. By his standard, Eva Kor and Corrie and Betsie Ten Boom would never have had to forgive the Nazis who tortured them, except for the one Nazi who came to Corrie after the war asking for forgiveness. Obviously that’s not how it worked, they forgave ALL the Nazis, not just the one guy.

Likewise, Jesus called upon God to forgive all those who tortured him. Most of them were not at all repentant. Most of them no doubt thought they were doing the right thing.

In my own life, if I waited for those who hurt me to ask forgiveness before I forgave them, I’d be waiting a mighty long time in 90 percent of the cases. Some people have even died and will never be coming back to say Sorry. I make my best effort to forgive them all in order to let go of grudges and get on with my own life. It doesn’t mean I call up a person who I’ve not spoken to since 2003 and tell them I forgive them, it is an internal process between me and God.

If someone wants to use Jimmy Akin as an excuse for carrying around grudges, he’s only hurting himself, and it will be on him and Mr Akin. I refuse to live that way.

Edited to add: Catechism on this topic is authoritative. Jimmy Akin is not.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_PAB.HTM
2844 Christian prayer extends to the forgiveness of enemies, transfiguring the disciple by configuring him to his Master. Forgiveness is a high-point of Christian prayer; only hearts attuned to God’s compassion can receive the gift of prayer. Forgiveness also bears witness that, in our world, love is stronger than sin. the martyrs of yesterday and today bear this witness to Jesus. Forgiveness is the fundamental condition of the reconciliation of the children of God with their Father and of men with one another.

Last edited:
I agree with you @Tis_Bearself. Personally, I would struggle with holding onto resentment until a person asks for my forgiveness. I would be thinking too much about how he/she doesn’t deserve my forgiveness yet. In a way, I would be thinking too much about that person’s judgement, which we are instructed not to do (see Matt 7:1).

Instead, Jesus begs the Father to forgive us for we “know not what we do” (Luke 23:34). Maybe people don’t realize how much they’ve hurt us. Maybe we don’t realize how we offended them. We pray “forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us,” and I certainly have needed forgiveness when, at the time, I didn’t even think I needed to apologize.

I do see the value in what @Montrose has shared though, as it is important to want forgiveness. But I have to disagree with the idea that there is nothing to be lost or gained when we don’t forgive an unrepentant person. St. Maria Goretti has a fascinating story about this. (The following is a bit graphic) She was murdered by a sexual predator named Alessandro when she was 12. In his prison cell, she appeared to him in a dream and told him she forgave him. Alessandro dedicated his life to God from that point on, ultimately becoming a saint. (The power of accepting forgiveness that we don’t deserve!)

I guess my point is, there is a lot to be gained when we love one another as Christ loved us (John 15:12).

Last edited:
I guess my point is, there is a lot to be gained when we love one another as Christ loved us (John 15:12).
Right. As the Catechism says, we are called to love our enemies. We can’t love someone if we have not forgiven them in our heart. Like I said, this doesn’t mean you have to call someone up and restart the drama, or make some other public gesture. The person might have disappeared, or be dead, or not want to hear from you. It’s usually an internal process, unless this is someone you have to see or talk to on a regular basis for some reason.

The other person’s repentance is on him. We should pray that he repents, for his own good. But that’s not under our control. We can only control how we react to the situation. And in cases where it’s not clear-cut like Nazis abusing prisoners or Alessandro stabbing Maria, it is sometimes murky as to whether the person did something truly wrong. For example, I have had situations where I cut off contact with someone, or they did with me, because they felt it was a bad friendship. No doubt these situations cause the person left in the lurch to feel hurt and maybe need to forgive, but the other party felt they were doing the right thing, “for both of our own good”, or that they had to preserve their own mental/ emotional/ even physical health.

Last edited:
Last I heard there was some debate about this. I was very surprised to hear it myself tbh and I’m unclear as to the nuances. To this day I don’t know the 100% defined answer. Personally I think we should, but that’s my opinion.

http://jimmyakin.com/2006/02/forgiving_the_u.html

The original post seems to have been deleted.

Edit: I have no idea all the details but I definitely think we should forgive others.

Edit: It looks like the article was perhaps moved and not deleted. The Limits of Forgiveness | Catholic Answers

I actually disagree, I think we should forgive.

Edit edit edit…sweet crap I missed the further discussion on all this :roll_eyes: in the thread… break time

Last edited:
I think the best course of action is to follow the Catechism teaching, which I posted, and which is the official teaching of the Church.

Jimmy Akin often says useful things, but that forgiveness topic was not one of his finer moments because IMHO it’s arguably at odds with the Catechism. When it’s Catechism vs. Some Random Apologist, I pick Catechism.

Completely agree. If there is a conflict the catechism wins. There is often some nuance and context though… Can you link the cathecism sections your referring to?
I’ve struggled with this topic myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back