Tithing -- suggesting 10%?

• Thread starter Thread starter James_2_24
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James_2_24

I understand that the Church does not require 10% tithing, but for us to give to the best of our ability.

My priest suggests to our congregation that we tithe 10%. In fact, he urges us, that if we are able, we should try our best to reach and maintain 10%. However, he understands that some may not be able, so he tells us to give to the VERY BEST of our ability.

Is there anything wrong him urging us to try our hardest to reach 10%?

He may make mention of tithing at least once a month, when he comments on how our parish is doing. He gives us updates because we are a newly founded parish and are in the process of building a big church and school.

Send him to my parish! The average income in our town is $65K. The average weekly envelope offering is $7.

The biblical 10% included funding for social infrastructure, so when I calculate my offering, I do it off the post-tax base. If every envelope-taking household in my parish (fewer than half our registered families) were to give in half the same proportion (based on our demographic), we would collect $25K per week. As it is, we collect around $8700.

Catholics: grow up!

James_2:24:
Is there anything wrong him urging us to try our hardest to reach 10%?
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with him encouraging people to try for 10%, as long as he is understanding of those who can’t.

“10%” is not the same for everybody. For the well-to-do family, giving 10% to the church may mean going to Europe only once this year, instead of twice.

To the struggling family in the next neighborhood, giving 10% may mean keeping the thermostat at 50 degrees, instead of 60, and risking hypothermia at night.

The “sacrifice” is very, very unequal.

By the way, if you are going to gived a fixed percentage, I do agree with doing so post-tax. In addition to the infrastructure factor (which makes a lot of sense), “gross” income includes money you will never see and never have – how can you give what is never yours in the first place?

40.png
CarolAnnSFO:
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with him encouraging people to try for 10%, as long as he is understanding of those who can’t.

“10%” is not the same for everybody. For the well-to-do family, giving 10% to the church may mean going to Europe only once this year, instead of twice.

To the struggling family in the next neighborhood, giving 10% may mean keeping the thermostat at 50 degrees, instead of 60, and risking hypothermia at night.

He understands that some may not be able to make it. He tells the congregation to try their best to make the 10%… for those who can’t, do what you can to the very best of your ability, and maybe also volunteer at Church as well… that is, give of your time.

40.png
CarolAnnSFO:

I think that is why the Church doesn’t officially suggest 10% and instead says, “according to your abilities”. Some people simply can’t afford 10%. If a priest encourages 10% he should also mention that he understands not everyone can give 10% and still keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

Mt19:26:
I think that is why the Church doesn’t officially suggest 10% and instead says, “according to your abilities”. Some people simply can’t afford 10%. If a priest encourages 10% he should also mention that he understands not everyone can give 10% and still keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.
Exactly! 👍 👍 👍

It sounds like your priest is being very even handed in his call for 10%. I don’t think that 10% is too much to ask, especially with the stipulation that your donations can take the form of time as well as money.

Important to remember that our sacrifices should come from the “first fruits” of our labors, not the left over, and that we should give cheerfully and trust in the Lord to help us out.

I have NEVER starved because I gave too much at church, you will be amazed at how God will come through “in the clutch” when you think you just can’t make it.

40.png
bengeorge:
I have NEVER starved because I gave too much at church, you will be amazed at how God will come through “in the clutch” when you think you just can’t make it.
As long as you know where to draw the line between that, and “putting God to the test.”

40.png
CarolAnnSFO:
As long as you know where to draw the line between that, and “putting God to the test.”
Malachi 3:10

Bring the full tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house; and thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you an overflowing blessing.

Luke 4:9-12

Then he led him to Jerusalem, made him stand on the parapet of the temple, and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here, for it is written: ‘He will command his angels concerning you, to guard you,’ and: ‘With their hands they will support you, lest you dash your foot against a stone.’” Jesus said to him in reply, “It also says, ‘You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.’”

40.png
CarolAnnSFO:
Luke 4:9-12

Then he led him to Jerusalem, made him stand on the parapet of the temple, and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here, for it is written: ‘He will command his angels concerning you, to guard you,’ and: ‘With their hands they will support you, lest you dash your foot against a stone.’” Jesus said to him in reply, “It also says, ‘You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.’”
CarolAnnSFO – this is the ONE issue in all of Scripture on which the Lord ASKS to be tested.

…search your consicence… give what you can… be realistic… help those less fortunate then yourself…

…if you wish to send the ole Space Ghost a farthing or two… never mind!..

Peace:thumbsup:

space ghost:
…if you wish to send the ole Space Ghost a farthing or two… never mind!..
I don’t have any farthings, but I might be able to dig up a few Canadian loonies and toonies. 😃

When we tithe 10% our life goes easy, when we don’t woo-boy does money get tight.

On that note our parish suggests 5% to them, 4% to a charity, and 1% to the dioceses. And it’s a pretty good way to break it up.

James,

Are you “suggesting” that we buy our way into Heaven? Are you working your way to Heaven? You know the CC was selling indulgences? Dont you know that Faith Alone is the way to go?

Having recently wrestled with this concept, I wanted to drop in my two-cents. (or ten cents!)

I like parameters and boundaries - almost cut-and-dry rules to follow. Sometimes guidelines are too vague and I can manage to justify and rationalize almost anything.

So as I was reading the welcome booklet after becoming a parishoner and looking through all the ways I could give of my time, I was careful to select those things to which I knew I could commit.

And then, there was the section on Stewardship. I read through it, and read through it again. And while I know the word tithe means one-tenth, I began to rationalize how one-tenth is too much. After all - I work at a non-profit company, there’s opportunities to give all the time - if I give all 10% to the Church, do I not give in other areas?

Oh woe is me… isn’t it amazing how we cannot see past our own humanity sometimes?

Of course I can give to other things… I drop a little something in the offering when I light candles, I give to my co-workers Animal Walk, a little here, a little there… It truly isn’t necessary to keep track of all of these things and make sure they equal ten-percent at the end of the year.

Here is what hit me and struck my heart deeply:

I am nothing without God.
God has entrusted me with family, responsibility and money.
Everything I have is because God sees fit for me to have it.
NONE of it is mine anyway.
It is my responsibility to my Church to provide for her from what God has given me.

So while this whole issue came at a time when I was feeling very money-crunched because of recent issues - I believe it was God testing me - would I be faithful to what He calls us to do?

There are so many passages that talk about giving of our first fruits and tithing. There are so many promises regarding giving. And while we do not give with the expectation of receiving, we can trust that God will provide for us - how much more than the birds of the sky?!

=)
Kat

Catholic Dude:
James,

Are you “suggesting” that we buy our way into Heaven?
Sure! Field level seats in heaven: $35 (a week). Upper deck: $8 (a week).

Field level seats cost more at Yankee Stadium, and they arent even guaranteed to win the world series!

Man! In that case, I’m in the owner’s box already! :dancing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back