To Protestants becoming/ have became Catholic,Why the Catholic Church?

• Thread starter Thread starter RomanRyan1088
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RomanRyan1088

If you were/are a Protestant comming home, Why the Catholic Church?

I’m one of those people who tend to over analyse things. When I discovered that I needed a God, sorry, flippant comment. I went through a 12 Step group, ok? To recover, I needed a god of my own understanding. I’d been baptised Church Of England, and gone to Sunday School until I was 8 or so, but had lapsed.

When I realised I needed God to quite literally stay alive, I bagan to research. I immediately went bach to my original tradition, but as I got further and further into it I realised that if I wanted to get serious about God then I needed to be as authentic as possible.

Ironically, I never has any problems with the Mass because I was from a High Anglican tradition, Marian devotion wasn’t a problem because it made logical sense (No Mary, no Jesus). Saints? No worries there either, everyone knows the world is full of good people from all the Christian traditions who are doing, or did do, something important in the eyes of God. Biblical translations were not a problem because I did, and still do, read anything from a Jerusalem to a Good News to a King James to a NRSV.

The clincher was when apostolic succession finally made sense in my cluttered mind. I figured Peter, Paul and all the others had to be onto something and the only people who still had it were those people who could prove an unbroken line of sucession back to Jesus and His original teachings.

And then finally I did a potted analysis of where the Protestant traditions had come from and realised that why should I try and sit on a fragile branch when I could have the support of the trunk of the tree?

Hope this helps.
:blessyou:

Many reasons but No1 a certain belief of the real presence in the Eucharist. So that gave the options of Catholicism or Orthodoxy. Catholicism due to unity - though like many Catholics not always that impressed with how unity has been maintained through history, but that does not negate authority. Anyway, I live in the West, not too many Orthodox in these parts and Christianity is about community!🙂 Although most of my reading and practice (icons, Jesus Prayer) is eastern!

I was annoyed and disturbed by all the different Protestant denominations out there and kept wondering WHY …if God is truth were there so many. They couldn’t all be true. Someone had to be more ‘true’ than the others and I believe I even asked God to lead me to His truth and that I not be deceived by the words of any man or my own comfort level. Looking back I realize that was a pretty bold prayer to make!

The other denominations started dropping away…and I was led to the Catholic Church.

dream wanderer

40.png
RomanRyan1088:
If you were/are a Protestant comming home, Why the Catholic Church?
I just always wanted to be Catholic, since I was a kid. I liked the look of the churches, the priest, the rituals. It always seemed like Catholics had big families. It’s hard to explain.

Growing up, I wanted stability, a father, and to be like other people, and maybe that’s what attracted me initially.

Later on, doing research, I believe the teachings of the Church, that Jesus instituted it.

I became Catholic, came home to the Catholic Church because after all the research I did, it finally hit me about Peter was the rock. That Jesus had appointed Peter to be the leader of the Church he was establishing. It is the history of the Church, apostolic succession that convinced me.
Plus I have always wanted to be Catholic. I liked the idea of the Blessed Virgin being our mother and someone we should emulate for motherhood and St Joseph as an example of someone who took care of his family. I could on, but I guess that is enough

You asked so here is my latest draft.

My Personal Articles of Faith

I am not an educated theologian. I never attended a class at a seminary. I am not a Bible Scholar. In writing these personal articles of faith, I cannot fully rely on sectarian interpretations of Bible passages that seem to some degree to be ambiguous because they are disagreed upon by such men as St. Augustine, Martin Luther, John Calvin, John Bunyan, John Wesley, D. L. Moody, Billy Sunday, Billy Graham or other significant Christians. I must rely on God’s mercy when it comes to deciding controversial topics - because I can easily be wrong. In writing these articles, I can only count on Bible scriptures that are plain and not controversial. And I decide to count on external evidence such as how I see other people live their lives.

1) Eucharist. Jack Chick says the wafer god is an idol and calls Roman Catholics are idolaters (that I.H.S. stands for Egyptian gods Isis, Horus and Seb). John Wesley’s 1808 Articles of Methodism (article 18) says transubstantiation is “repugnant to the plain words of Scripture”. Yet to me the plain words of scripture do not seem to refute transubstantiation plainly enough. John 6:53-58 has Jesus teaching to eat his body and drink his blood. The ancient Egyptians did not have our current alphabet. I recall seeing the letters I.H.S. on the alter and on a cross when I was a Methodist. An English non-Catholic website explains I.H.S. “They are sometimes explained as the initial letters of Jesus Hominum Salvator, i.e., Jesus Saviour of Men; or as In Hac Salus, i.e., In this (Cross) is Salvation.” … and that "I.H.S. on a headstone signifies that the person buried below is asleep ‘In Jesus.’ " When I recently returned to the church of my childhood, the Methodist Minister celebrated communion and included a prayer of consecration “May these become for us the body of Christ”. I am convinced that there are presently some Methodist church members (at least in my home Church) who do not know their bread and grape juice are only symbolic.

The Roman Catholic Bishop Fulton Sheen’s lifelong faithfulness had a very specific focus. Fulton J. Sheen promised God he would make a Holy Hour of Prayer before Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament everyday of his life. Bishop Sheen has a very deep understanding of God’s word. One of Bishop Sheen’s faults was that he would take unusual means (newspapers, TV) go to very great lengths to reach others for Christ. As a young New Yorker, I knew he had a column in our newspaper (much the same as Billy Graham). Recently, I have been reading the transcripts of Bishop Sheen’s telecasts and they have been very helpful. I cannot see Bishop Sheen as an idolater. How could Bishop Sheen’s teachings be so good if at the center core of his being and his faithfulness he was wrong?

Another Roman Catholic witness that touched my life is Father Damian (hearing of his work from a leper at the leper colony in 1976). “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends” (St. John 15:13). Father Damian died from leprosy in Hawaii. Father Damian was a Christian and not an idolater.

Other Roman Catholic witnesses are the Benedictine Sisters on Linton Hall Road (Manassas VA). It is an obvious fact to open-minded Christians living in Prince William County that their ministry is, has been and continues to be one of the most significant ministries in our County (BARN, etc.). I once attended a workshop with the sisters. At the workshop, I was quite convinced how much the Sisters loved Jesus. And how they experience the Presence of Christ by faith while they pray the Psalms with Jesus.

Since these precious brothers and sisters are Christians and not idol worshippers, Jack Chick must be wrong. I accept the spiritual fruit of their lives as evidence that the Roman Catholic teaching about the Eucharist is correct.

continued next post…

continued…

2)
Rev 22:18-19 warns against adding words or removing words from this prophetic book. I believe God also does not want man to change the original meaning in any other book of scripture. In one specific church, the pastor usually changed the words of scripture as he celebrated communion. Saying “This is symbolic” when the word symbolic was clearly not in the scripture quoted. We cannot change the wording of scripture so that it fits our limited human understanding.

At this time in my life, I feel quite certain that Protestants were wrong to remove the book of Tobit. I recall reading from the Deuterocanonical books while in college. At this time, they make more sense to me. It seems that a very good understanding of other books in the Old Testament (and eperience that comes with age) may be required to gain more from these books.

3) The Roman Catholic Church holds fast to “The Apostle’s Creed”. Some (for example the United Methodist Church) remove the phrase “He descended into hell” because many Methodists do not understand it.

4) The Roman Catholic Church holds fast to the sanctity of human life. It is strongly opposed to abortion and euthanasia. The Roman Catholic Church teaches a grave and clear obligation for Christians to oppose judicial decisions or civil laws that authorize or promote abortion or euthanasia. In contrast, many Protestant clergy never speak of these topics from their pulpits. The silence on abortion or euthanasia has had the result that many Protestant Christians have had abortions thinking it is OK.

5) There are many who feel that a Congregational form of Church government is best. Yet at the same time, usual and functional human institutions (such as businesses, governments, schools and charities) have hierarchical forms of self-government. Jesus wants the Church to be very functional, and His disciples reflected a hierarchical structure during His earthly ministry. Peter, James and John; the nine others in the twelve, the seventy two who were sent out.

I reject this clause of my Baptist church’s “The Church Covenant”.
“In case of a difference of opinion in the church, we strive to avoid a contentious spirit and if we cannot unanimously agree, we will cheerfully recognize the right of the majority to govern.” The “right of the majority” typical of a congregational church can lead astray. Would a good shepherd allow the sheep to lead the flock? A hierarchical structure that has the local pastor at the top is not appropriate either. Many ministers acting on their own have led many astray. A prime example was Jim Jones and the People’s Temple Suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, South America.

Continued next post…

continued…

6)
Racism cannot be tolerated. The Roman Catholic Church must be willing to examine itself, repent and do penance as needed regarding racism.

“Eleven o’clock on Sunday morning is the most segregated hour in Christian America.” - Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.
“One wastes time and money in ministering to blacks. . . . What reason can there be that you are so solicitous for the Negro?” - a priest, cited in The Miserable Condition of Black Catholics in America, 1903.

So begins an extraordinary article “Racism and Religion: Partners in Crime?” originally published in “Salt of the Earth” (see salt.claretianpubs.org/issues/racism/unsworth.html and please read it). There are some American Roman Catholics who are aware of their history. The best criticism I could quickly find using Google was self-criticism (that web site is Roman Catholic).

On August 28-29 this year, the 20th annual powwow of the American Indian Inter-Tribal Cultural Organization will be held on the grounds of the Saint Benedict Monastery on Linton Hall Road.
It seems to me that the American Roman Catholic Church is slowly turning around.

I must forgive to be forgiven. The Roman Catholic Church is repentant concerning racism. Much work may still be necessary for American Blacks to consider that the American Roman Catholic is their church too.

7) Hebrews 12:6 “for whom the Lord loves, he disciplines; he scourges every son he acknowledges”. This is obviously happening in the Roman Catholic Church today, worldwide.

I would like feedback regarding improvements. Send a message to me. Even if you disagree.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back