To whom does the Holy Father confess?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silyosha
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Silyosha

Guest
I guess this belongs here since it involves the sacrament of confession…
Just wondering–I only have a very vague idea about the Pope’s confession. Thanks.
 
He confesses to whichever priest he wishes. He probably doesn’t wait in line before Mass though 😉
 
I think he has a priest on his staff that he has chosen as his confessor.

I do recall a story from some diocese where the people in line for confession realized that their Bishop had just joined the line. Everyone stepped aside to let him go first. He declined saying, “I’m in no more rush to get in there than you are.” 😃
 
He confesses to whichever priest he wishes. He probably doesn’t wait in line before Mass though 😉
I just got this image in my mind of the people looking sheepishly and trying to avoid eye contact with the Pope as they wait in line outside the confessional.
 
There is generally a confessor to the Papal Household, who by tradition, is a Servite (Order of the Servants of Mary). However, some Popes also keep a certain priest as their confessor. For example. Pius XII had a Jesuit (Cardinal Bea) as his. Another Jesuit, Dezza, was confessor to Paul VI
 
I guess this belongs here since it involves the sacrament of confession…
Just wondering–I only have a very vague idea about the Pope’s confession. Thanks.
In pre-history (when I went to college), I was attracted to a young woman. We spoke, and were getting to know each other when I said something that indicated I was Catholic. In a tone I will never forget she said, “You’re Catholic!?”

She then proceeded to tell me about her minister who demolished Catholicism when he asked a Catholic neighbor, “Who does a priest confess to?” The neighbor said, “A Bishop I guess.” “Then who does a Bishop confess to?” asked the minister. “A Cardinal, I suppose.” “And who does a Cardinal confess to?” asked the minister. “Must be the Pope,” said the Catholic. “OK, then, who does the Pope confess to?” asked the minister. “God,” ventured the Catholic. “Well,” said the minister, “I guess I’m as important as your Pope because I confess to God, too!”

That was my first encounter with Anti-Catholicism. I told her there are ignorant Catholics, and the Pope confesses to his confessor, a priest. Indeed, one of the powers particular to priests is the power to forgive sins. I never saw her again.

The answer is the Pope, like everyone else, confesses to a priest.
 
“Who does a priest confess to?” The neighbor said, “A Bishop I guess.”
I have read, or heard that a Bishop is not supposed to hear his priests’s confessions, since he needs to be able to discipline them “publicly”, without danger of violating the seal of the confessional.
 
I have read, or heard that a Bishop is not supposed to hear his priests’s confessions, since he needs to be able to discipline them “publicly”, without danger of violating the seal of the confessional.
Well, the Bishop I had growing up would hear confessions reasonably often. Being that the confessionals were totally anonymous, he wouldn’t necessarily know if a priest, let alone a priest of his own diocese, was the person on the other side of the screen confessing to him.
 
I have read, or heard that a Bishop is not supposed to hear his priests’s confessions, since he needs to be able to discipline them “publicly”, without danger of violating the seal of the confessional.
Good practical reasons for that.

Nonetheless a Bishop could hear his priests’ confession as a Bishop is a priest - indeed the fulness of the priesthood.
 
Well, the Bishop I had growing up would hear confessions reasonably often. Being that the confessionals were totally anonymous, he wouldn’t necessarily know if a priest, let alone a priest of his own diocese, was the person on the other side of the screen confessing to him.
A hundred years ago Portland Maine had an African American bishop, Bishop James A.Healy. [It has never been quite clear how it happened [many suggest a mix up of names. God has a sense of humor. He was probably the only African American in the state.] He was very capable. Unfortunately, he died quite young. Otherwise he might well have been moved to Boston.] He often heard confessions.

My grandmother, who lived there at the time told a friend who didn’t realize she was confessing to the bishop confessed, " I said the bishop is as black as the devil." He responded, “Please madam, black as the ace of spades, not the devil.” :eek:

Bishop Healy was the first African-American priest and first African-American bishop, and came from a talented family. All of his brothers occupied responsible positions. One was the first African-American to command a U. S. government vessel.
 
In pre-history (when I went to college), I was attracted to a young woman. We spoke, and were getting to know each other when I said something that indicated I was Catholic. In a tone I will never forget she said, “You’re Catholic!?”

She then proceeded to tell me about her minister who demolished Catholicism when he asked a Catholic neighbor, “Who does a priest confess to?” **The neighbor said, “A Bishop I guess.” ** “Then who does a Bishop confess to?” asked the minister. .
That is actually prohibited, except under grave circumstances. As a Diaconate student, not even ordained, our auxilliary bishop could not hear my confession.

This is to protect the cleric from having to confess to one’s ‘boss’.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top