Todays Gospel, are you a Pharisee, or a Tax-Collector

• Thread starter Thread starter RomanRyan1088
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RomanRyan1088

Luke 18: 9 - 14
9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and despised others: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all that I get.' 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for every one who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

My Priest asked us this question, “Are you the Pharisee, or the Tax-Collector”?

I think anyone who would answer your question would be a Pharisee.

The Parisee prayed: * Thank God I am not like the rest of men.* Which proved he was very much like the rest of men. 😉

It depends on what aspect of the whole things catches my eye when I read that parable. The pharisee was well respected and the tax payer wasn’t (in the community). It is hard to identifiy with the pharisee for that reason.

Also, the pharisee feels that he meets his obligations (tithes, fasts, mass attendance, works hard, visits the sick, whatever). Although I am grateful to God when I do happen to meet my most obvious obligations, the fact is that I don’t usually meet them.

Furthermore, the taxpayer asks God for something, and the pharisee doesn’t. The pharisee just thanks God. I am more prone to petition than thanks. I’m not sure that is the best thing. But I do think it is a fantastic idea to ask God for mercy or perseverance or more faith.

However, I am very like the pharisee in that I am too aware of the failings of those around me.

just my pharisaical two cents. 😛

40.png
nancy3159:
Am I a Pharisee or a tax-collector? Yes.
I can be both also but try hard to be the tax collector! I think pride gets in the way a lot though. But it is always something I work on. Remembering to beg God for his mercy daily!

40.png
renee1258:
I think anyone who would answer your question would be a Pharisee.
I agree. I declined to answer. It’s good food for thought, but any answer would be wrong. :hmmm:

That said, I am like the pharisee for explaining that I am above answering the question. My pride seems to be without limit. I should just shut up. If I had faith I would not post this message.

:crying:

Alan

well I am a tax payer and I tithe, so I guess that makes me a pharisee. but I have a strong and ever present awareness of my sinfulness, so maybe I am a publican. reminds me of a priest in Detroit who was somewhat of a social activist. He was interviewed on the radio and criticized for associating with some of the “low lifes” in town. He said, “that’s nothing, I had dinner with the bishop, and some of our congressmen and some government officials were there, so we were dining with Republicans and tax collectors.”

Thank God I’m not like that Pharisee guy.

I take great pride in my humility 🙂

When asked, “Are you a democrat or a republican”?

Curly replied, “Neither, I am a pedestrian”.

nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk

I desire and try to be the Tax-Collector. However, I often fall into being the Pharisee. It seems like sometimes when I step up the amount of prayers that I say I think that I am somehow more righteous, when the truth is I am not. It is tough sometimes. Sometimes I become the Pharisee without even knowing it. But when this happens, I fall. When I fall I am humbled and I once again find out that I am a sinner, even the worst of sinners. Sometimes I get discouraged by this, because I think that because I sin God will not take me back. But then I have to re-learn the great truth of God’s love and mercy.

I did not vote. Because you see I am both. I am a tax collector, because I am very critical, :tsktsk: but then I am intensely aware of my own short comings; so I often bang my chest in severe repentance.:bowdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back