Tough Reading

  • Thread starter Thread starter PoliSciProf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. It’s the only book I ever had to resort to the Cliff Notes to get through. It was required reading for my English Lit class in high school and I just couldn’t get into it at all. I wouldn’t have bothered with the Cliff Notes but I needed to pass the test.

One that I ploughed through, waiting for something to happen was Return of the Native, by Thomas Hardy. It was as dull and dreary as the moors in which it is set.
 
It took me five times to get through Jane Eyre (sp?). The first time I read part of it was when I was ten since there wasn’t anything left in the school library to read that was at my level. I finally got through it when I was 17. Could not understand why people love Bronte or Jane Austen books. They’re so insipid. Tried Wuthering Heights, got about half way through and just gave up since it was like watching paint dry. Couldn’t get through Anna Karenina either. I have no plans on reading any of these books and don’t want to.
Wow, those are all books I adore. Austen is, in my opinion, one of the best authors of all time.
I’m reading Jane Eyre for the first time and am truely enjoying it, I’m surprised I never read it before now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top