Trancendentalism

  • Thread starter Thread starter dessert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dessert

Guest
I studied a little bit about transendentalism when I tried to take a few college courses. You know the old theory I’m ok you’re ok. and I’m ok you’re not and you’re not ok but I’m ok and the final fatal one you’re not and I’m not ok. I may have some of my schisms mixed up but what do the saints have to say about this to refute it? Any discussion on this? Otherwise it doesn’t matter because it has been so long since I have tried to practice it. The professors told me you can never always be in a state of ok which I doubted and I have had other people say that to me.
return from the desert:)
 
are you referring to the philosophical and literary movement in 19th c America which involved Henry Thoreau, Bronson Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson and others? or are your referring to the 60s self-help movement?
 
🙂 I guess I am referring more to transaction analysis which I think is Frueids? But also the trans one is spoken of in the movie Little Women which would put it into the 60’s mode. But the movie is set in the 1800’s mode. I used to really like that movie but it does speak alot of individualism but also deals with the rich and poor society and I am presently in a poor church and so am dealing with my own attitide toward the destitute. Our church members contribute about 6000 a week to run, not saying they don’t have more to give, as this may mean the closing of our
church:( sometime 😦 hope not but the other three are taking in about 16,000 a week each, it is posted for everyone to see. I see God’s service to the poor as important but people can get affluent and not be aware of it even if they are mid income. So how about and answer to the 60’s thanks
return from the desert
 
what movie?

transactional analysis is not the same as nor is it based on transcendentalism as practiced by Thoreau et al.

the rest of your post I am having trouble relating to the topic at all. What does the amount of donations collected by your church have to do with the topic? If this post has a topic, please be so kind as to state it, because right now there is nothing to discuss.
 
Transactional Analysis: “I’m ok, you’re ok”…a method of self-help therapy invented in the 1960s.

Transcendental Meditation: invented by a Hindu holy man in (I think) the 1970s, and made popular in the US when the Beatles and some other celebrities adopted it. My opinion is that Transcendental Meditation is a New Age practice.

Transcendentalism. :I don’t know what this is.
 
:blessyou:
Transactional Analysis: “I’m ok, you’re ok”…a method of self-help therapy invented in the 1960s.

Transcendental Meditation: invented by a Hindu holy man in (I think) the 1970s, and made popular in the US when the Beatles and some other celebrities adopted it. My opinion is that Transcendental Meditation is a New Age practice.

Transcendentalism. :I don’t know what this is.
🙂 Yeah I didn’t know for sure when the analysis (TA) came around I thought it was frude. 😛 The TM I know about as my husband was into it when younger. But at the time I didn’t know what was so wrong with it. The other was in the movie Little Women but the newer version I think the 80’s because there is a version from the 40’s or 50’s with Katherine Hepburn which does not speak of it. :confused: That clears up the TA part. A lot of confusing things came out of the 60’s no wonder I get so confused some times but I didn’t do any drugs so I can’t claim that. 😦
😃 This is a rather forward question but does anyone know how I could get into contact with Mel Gibson the actor? Does he have a special charitable organization that I can contact? Thanks

OFFER TO GOD A SACRIFICE OF THANKSGIVING…HE WHO BRINGS THANKSGIVING AS HS SACRIFICE HONORS ME…I WILL OFFER YOU THE SACRIFICE OF THANKSGIVING
PSALM 50 14-23 116; 17 Word Among Us publ.

return have a good turkey day again :blessyou:
 
transactional analysis was rather indifferent to any religous influences. It was merely a way of finding the appropriate manner to communicate with another. The three roles were parent, child, and adult. For two or more adults the adult to adult manner of communication would be best. Sometimes one must communicate with an immature adult as parent to child or child to child, etc. The techniques were taught to business people in the 70’s. Has nothing to do with Transcendental Meditation.
 
Are you talking about the literary movement in response to the “American Enlightenment?”
 
All I can speak to is the philosophy of the this. The method you describe is rooted in relativism which assumes that the individual is the primary and final measure of all things. This is patently absurd and can only lead to self-ruin. It basically is explained by the phrase “what is good for you is good for you and what is good for me is good for me.” However, our grandparents were a bit wiser when they stated “what is good for the goose is good for the gander.”

If you would like a better more healthy form of therapy I would suggest one that takes into account reality and the way things actually work. A book to read is “Psychic Wholeness and Healing” by Anna A Terruwe, MD and Conrad W Baars, MD.
 
All I can speak to is the philosophy of the this. The method you describe is rooted in relativism which assumes that the individual is the primary and final measure of all things. This is patently absurd and can only lead to self-ruin. It basically is explained by the phrase “what is good for you is good for you and what is good for me is good for me.” However, our grandparents were a bit wiser when they stated “what is good for the goose is good for the gander.”

If you would like a better more healthy form of therapy I would suggest one that takes into account reality and the way things actually work. A book to read is “Psychic Wholeness and Healing” by Anna A Terruwe, MD and Conrad W Baars, MD.
Thank you for this answer, I was taught so much stuff in college and now this is why I have been so confused because it was like a cobweb in my mind. Trying to mix my old and now new catholic beliefs has been like twisted wire in there so I had to remember in order to get rid of the wrong. I will borrow that book from our library.
Relativeism is what I was taught and wasn’t sure what was wrong with it all. 🙂
return from the desert
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top