Translation of 1 Tim 3:15

  • Thread starter Thread starter greggb11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the post Patrick, I couldn’t agree more.

I can see that “decreasing” posts in contradiction to what his name implies, by the chest puffing attacks he cannot help but make at the end of his posts towards the Catholic Church.

These forums would be more benificial to all of us if we avoided those types of posts.

Everyone, thanks for all the (name removed by moderator)ut! I think I will stick to my original thought that either way it is still supportive of the Catholic Church’s teaching of one true church, but by putting “a” there it is misleading. It just makes the conversation a little longer!
I had no intention of puffing out my chest; though, I realize that my comments at the end of my replies may have come across that way. I actually throw those in there, not as a “haha!”, but as a side note to consider. Such an indirect way of mentioning these things is not as useful as spending serious time on them, but I didn’t mean to get too deep into Irenaeus’ book. I still stand on the argument that his book is not RC friendly, but this isn’t the place to argue that, I guess.

I’ll try not to leave those comments on the end anymore.

As far as the original topic: you can read it as a support of “one true church,” but I’d have to say that you are reading your presupposition into the text. I agree that the church is the pillar and foundation of the truth, and I have a differing understanding of that based on the fact that a pillar stands on a solid ground as it holds something up. It is not itself the truth that it is holding forth. The truth of God is the focus, and that is to be found in the Gospel and by extension God’s word.

You’ll notice also that I was not arguing for the actual interpretation of this text. I was merely pointing out the legitimacy of the translation–which is the original topic. Correct? I’m just trying to follow the rules, man.
 
While I get what you’re trying to say, I think what must be kept in mind is the fact that the only authority the peope we’re refquently conversing with is the bible. More over, since the bible is the written immutable tradition of the church, one must admit that if it DID contradict what we say about the church and her authority then maybe they’d have a point. But that’s not the case, an authoritative church can be seen all over Scripture. Most directly here.
I appreciate your understanding, crazzeto. I disagree with your conclusion (as I’m sure you expected), but I appreciate your comment just the same.

Also, I don’t believe that the Bible is the only authority for myself or other believers. God gave church leaders for a good purpose, and I appreciate them and submit to them as they are submitted to God’s word. The Bible is the final authority. There is a difference. And that is a difference that should be discussed in another thread, so I’ll leave it at that…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top