Trouble with Rosary meditations

• Thread starter Thread starter kaj3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kaj3

Forgive me if there has been a thread posted on this subject recently.

I say the Rosary daily, however, often my meditations end by the 1st or 2nd Hail Mary of the decade! :o I have trouble staying focused on the mystery. I exhaust my thoughts about the mystery almost immediately.

I know we are not supposed to base our spirituality on feelings, but I don’t feel as though my Rosary prayer is efficacious because, without having more to meditate on, I am much more prone to distractions.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks

1. Before praying the Rosary
I ask the Blessed Virgin to “prefect” my imperfect prayers

I also renounce all distractions that may come my way
  1. If you already dont: Get ahold of a Rosary booklet that has a photo depicting each of the Mysteries…and simply focus on each photo while praying your Rosary
  2. Re-read Matthew, Luke & John…they are more detailed than Mark (for me at least) this will also help you in visualizing your meditations and to play them out as moving pictures in your mind while you look at the photos.
Watching Gibsons movie has helped me GREATLY in imagry or the Sorrowful Mysteries.

I have also read: Mystical City of God, by Venerable Mary of Agreda…thru her revelations of the Holy Family, I can actually “see” the events played out in my minds eye…its (one of) the greatest mystical revelations ever produced

Hope that helps. 🙂

I have the same problem with meditation when I say the Rosary so I turn on EWTN and say it with Mother Angelica & the Nuns and Father Mitch. I also have a Rosary video that makes meditation much easier.

Blessings,
Shannin

40.png
shannin:
I have the same problem with meditation when I say the Rosary so I turn on EWTN and say it with Mother Angelica & the Nuns and Father Mitch. I also have a Rosary video that makes meditation much easier.

Blessings,
Shannin
Shannin,
I can see I’m in good company! I do more than one a day and I too say them along w/ the above mentioned. I get EWTN 24/7 and the Rosary is on morning , noon and night…What a blessing! Divine Mercy morning and afternoon too!
Sometimes I just let the distraction happen and I pray a bead or two for whatever is causing it… Annunciata:)

I no longer get EWTN, but when I did, I used to say the Rosary with them too. Now, I try to get as many pictures as I can and line them up like a storyboard. If I find myself losing focus, I look at the pictures.

Faithful 2 Rome said:
1. Before praying the Rosary

I ask the Blessed Virgin to “prefect” my imperfect prayers

I also renounce all distractions that may come my way

I also ask my Guardian Angel to pray with me.

I listen to a Rosary CD that includes meditations and scripture readings. I find it quite helpful Each set of mysteries comes on it’s own CD - by Still Waters (the same people who do Divine Mercy on EWTN)

John

Hi folks!

I like you all have distractions during my Rosary. I always tried to battle with them but I found I put more energy into trying to stop them than into thinking on the mystery.
Now I let them flow and if they are of people I offer them to Our Blessed Lady. I do feel that some distractions in prayer are better used offered in prayer. Now when the big ones hit in I simply call on St. Michael and say “St. Michael, deal with this one please!” It always works.

Fergal
Naas
Ireland

I’ve always had that problem. I shifted to saying the Office. Reading the Psalms keeps me focused, as I can meditate on each stanza.

Have you tried Virtual Rosary (virtualrosary.org/)? It comes with a scripture reading relating to the mystery for each bead of the decade so you can stay on point before, during and after each Ave. It also comes with pictures and music, should you so desire.

Pope John Paul II uses a method that I have found to work very well. Build the meditation into the “Hail Mary,” at the natural break after the word “Jesus.”

For example,

. . . the fruit of thy womb, Jesus, whose conception was announced by the Archangel Gabriel. Holy Mary, mother of God, . . . .

. . . the fruit of thy womb, Jesus, who inspired those around him, even as an unborn child. Holy Mary, mother of God, . . . .

. . . the fruit of thy womb, Jesus, who was born a man, that we might be saved. Holy Mary, mother of God, . . . .

It really does help you focus on the mystery. It also helps ensure that the “Hail Mary” is a Christo-centric prayer.

Paul W:
Pope John Paul II uses a method that I have found to work very well. Build the meditation into the “Hail Mary,” at the natural break after the word “Jesus.”

For example,

. . . the fruit of thy womb, Jesus, whose conception was announced by the Archangel Gabriel. Holy Mary, mother of God, . . . .
Some good advice in this thread. Some showings of the Family Rosary on FamilylandTV put the meditation into the Hail Mary in this manner. I have downloaded the Virtual Rosary, and it is very helpful to be looking at the verses (a different verse for each bead) while reciting the Hail Marys. I also have a foldout Rosary card with all four sets of mysteries, and a picture to accompany each mystery; however, the pictures are quite small. I would like to get a set of 20 8x10s; I am a very visual person, and it really helps my concentration to focus on a picture. Besides all this, I have also added the accompanying virtues into the Hail Mary; for example, “…pray for me *, a sinner, now and at the hour of my death, that I may obtain the virtue of obedience. Amen.”

I especially love going to sleep meditating on the Rosary. It sure beats some of the other things I used to think about after I turned the lights out :eek:

DaveBj*

I try to say the rosary every day but because I had trouble concentrating I started to read a book entitled “My Meditation on the Gospel” and say the Hail Marys as a sort of mantra.

The book goes through all of Jesus’ life, not specifically the mysteries of the rosary. Is it ok to read it while saying the rosary or should I be reading and thinking about the particular mysteries? :confused:

Kaj3 -

St. Louis Marie de Montfort also suggested a method like that mentioned by PaulW: he inserted a few words into the Hail Mary that focus on the Mystery being recited. His suggestions appear in his book “Secret of the Rosary,” I think. He has a word or phrase for each mystery (Joyful, Sorrowful, and Glorious), and I have made up my own for the Luminous. I highly recommend reading anything written by St. Louis.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back