Troubling dilema

• Thread starter Thread starter David_Storm
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David_Storm

So I have debated posting this question publically for some time and I guess the real answer can only be given by a priest but…

What advice might you give a person whom is a catholic by baptisim, and was till he was 10, and then his mother (Being the main religious force in the family) has an evangelical revelation thanks to Pat Robertson from the 700 club that the catholic faith is dead, and everything I had been taught from day 1 was wrong… Force fed the noisy dancing in the isles, arms waving, speaking in tongues for another 6 years afterward essentially killed the church and any interest in following my faith for many years afterward.
I realize what she did was from her heart, and wanting to direct me in the best direction, but I feel she did more dammage than good, because when you believe one thing, and then are told to reverse directions, not always the easiest thing to do.
So here I am 30 years later- And old&wise enough to know that the catholic of his youth is still alive and well, but totally unsure what direction to proceed?
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I couldn’t figure out where to go from here.

Call the nearest Catholic Church. Ask for an appointment with the Pastor.

Why is this a dilemma? You’re an adult. You gotta do whatcha gotta do. Is your mom still living? Is she still trying to control you? (There are 75-year-old “children” still being bullied by their parents.)

Yes, she is still alive and well… Just that I was the only one of 3 children who never argued the point much (Kinda happens when you are the baby of the family)… But the dilema has always been fighting who I feel I truly am with what I was told I should be… Not to mention, the next time I do go to confession, its gonna be a doozy… (smiles)

Thank you for the advice.

David Storm:
So I have debated posting this question publically for some time and I guess the real answer can only be given by a priest but…

What advice might you give a person whom is a catholic by baptisim, and was till he was 10, and then his mother (Being the main religious force in the family) has an evangelical revelation thanks to Pat Robertson from the 700 club that the catholic faith is dead, and everything I had been taught from day 1 was wrong… Force fed the noisy dancing in the isles, arms waving, speaking in tongues for another 6 years afterward essentially killed the church and any interest in following my faith for many years afterward.
I realize what she did was from her heart, and wanting to direct me in the best direction, but I feel she did more dammage than good, because when you believe one thing, and then are told to reverse directions, not always the easiest thing to do.
So here I am 30 years later- And old&wise enough to know that the catholic of his youth is still alive and well, but totally unsure what direction to proceed?
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I couldn’t figure out where to go from here.
If you’re not interested in the falling down in the isles speaking in tongues things the Catholic Church is the right place. I had similar experiences as a protestant. I ended up here and I have to say that the Catholics teachings are far more ‘complete’ and ‘sound’ then any other Church I have ever gone to.

Pat Robertson’s revelation must have been false given the 24-7 media coverage that the Pope has gotten along with the fact that this single forum has 20,000 plus members. It would seem that the RCC is the center of Christianity on Earth. The Catholic Church is definately the right choice.

-D

I was telling a friend last night that my most warm and fuzziest memories are of my old church (The one where it kinda all started out) and my memories I have of that place… Of course it may very well be intertwined with the wonder of childhood, growing up during the 70’s, in a not too bad neighborhood, so… I already feel that the catholic church is the choice for me, but having waited 30 years to come to terms with some of these issues, there is going to be alot of work ahead of me.

I had much the same experience as you DS. Except we were Episcopalian when my mom (who had been recently widowed) got all caught up in pentecostalism and so took us kids into the Assemblies of God with her.

I spent nearly 20 years of my life in that sect and got deeply involved. But, I too became disenchanted with the constant need to “get revived”, etc. Their spirituality consisted mainly in being grateful for being saved–unlike that sinner over there in the_______church (chose any mainline liturgical church). They were all spiritually dead because they didn’t have the “infilling of the Holy Spirit”, or so we were told.

I returned to the ECUSA, but found it much changed. People could believe whatever they pleased and still be in good standing. This was because the denomination had abandoned teaching anything as definitely true or false. I nearly despaired of finding any church that wasn’t, on the one hand damaging to the spirit or on the other hand so heterodox that they believed in nothing.

As I look back on it, I can’t remember exactly why I began looking into the Catholic Church, except that Mary fascinated me. I had to learn the truth about her in order to determine if the Catholic Church (where I really didn’t want to end up!) was the true Church or not. Well, my researches and questions led me into the Church and I have never looked back. If you want the fullness of truth, return to the Church Christ founded where he is waiting for you with open arms.

David Storm:

First, welcome back! Even if you are not certain as to what road to take, the fact that you have been drawn back this far and have posted your question is a step in the right direction. I hope that you will continue down this path and possibly even bring a few people a long with you on your journey.
Next, let me say that I like Pat Robertson (gasps from the crowd). However, liking him and believing what he says are two different things. I think that he means well but is confused on many facts relating to Catholicism. The first step I would suggest for you is to find a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Use this book as a reference to questions you many have concerning the faith and teachings of the Church. Next, I would suggest that you read the book Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating. I also support your idea of speaking with a Priest. He can directly answer any questions that you still may have. While you are there speaking with Father, ask about RCIA. Best wishes to you and God bless.

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_19.gif

Della, thank you much… This is going to sound fairly stupid, and somewhat stereotypical (if not a cliche) but I thought, or was thinking I had a unique issue. I am relieved to discover there are people who share similar experiences.

I can’t really describe what I feel inside, but I have always been a good listener, and can take my mother on one on one (Where I always loose) but feel I have heard her about as much as I can. Perhaps it is part socilogical (sp) as the church was imprinted on me since I was born, or the fact that I independantly wanted to follow that initial teaching and at first wasn’t permitted to, and then later had little interest in doing so.
I look back at my whole family tree, and 99% of reletives are Catholic, the other 1% are agnostic. We kinda stood out in the field as my father still holds no solid belief that I am aware of, and both sisters of mine have persued their own religious faiths, (I am sure my mom had something to do with that) .
The power of parenting on young children definately has a kick-back effect to it.

David Storm:
I was telling a friend last night that my most warm and fuzziest memories are of my old church (The one where it kinda all started out) and my memories I have of that place… Of course it may very well be intertwined with the wonder of childhood, growing up during the 70’s, in a not too bad neighborhood, so… I already feel that the catholic church is the choice for me, but having waited 30 years to come to terms with some of these issues, there is going to be alot of work ahead of me.
I didn’t become a practicing Catholic until I was 28 years old. My first confession was a long one, but not as long as it could have been. I just confessed everything I could remember at the time and confessed the ones I forgot in subsequent confessions.

Also I didn’t know thing one about the Catholic Faith. Here I am 20 years later leading Bible studies, helping to teach adult Confirmation, and with an active apologetics apostolate. It’s never to late to start a new life and change and grow as a Christian and as a human being.

Hi,

I would just like to offer some further (name removed by moderator)ut on confession. I received all the sacraments of initiation, but was never raised in any faith. Brought up as a pagan. When I was 22 I came back to the Church, and confesion was the hardest thing I had ever had to do.
The thing you need to understand is that the priest has heard confessions of people in the same situation as you 1000’s of times, if he’s an older priest. And he will praise God over your return to the sacraments. You need to talk to the priest, explauin your situation. He will help you get confirmed etc if you have’nt already. And with confession he is bound by the seal. What’s said stays in the confessional.
About the sacrament itself. Confession is a wonderful gift from God. Jesus shed his blood so we could be absolved in it. It is Christ working through the priest who forgives your sins. So when you go , think to yourself I am asking Christ for forgiveness. That’s what’s happenning. You will feel a huge weight lifted too. Most people are ecstatic after confession in such circumstances. Don’t be afraid. The enemy of our salvation always tries to scare people away from the sacraments. There is psychological effects when you tell another human being about all the bad things too. it’s very therapeutic. I would spend a little time talking to the priest to help me prepare for the confession. Ask him. This will make it easier when you get there too.
And welcome back to the Church. Make that step. It’s really not that hard. you know. I will pray for you.

Again, thank you for your prayers and helpful advice… A tad of history, which I will have to clear up later down the road… Received 1st communion when I was oh, maybe in 2nd or 3rd grade, which would have put me at 7 or 8 years old. Was a big to-do at the time, grandparents came down to witness it, and got out of school early that Friday… (Those were the days) and then started going to confession afterwards. Probably around a year or 2 later. The one thing that never happened was confirmation. This shows how fragmented my memory and experience is, my older sisters apparently went through it, and received their chosen name (I believe they chose, I could be wrong however) but I never made it that far.

I am still in the process of searching the net on “Catholicisim for Dummies” (smiles) or at least the adult guide for it, I don’t know if there are things that if not done as a child need to be done differently as an adult.

David Storm:
Again, thank you for your prayers and helpful advice… A tad of history, which I will have to clear up later down the road… Received 1st communion when I was oh, maybe in 2nd or 3rd grade, which would have put me at 7 or 8 years old. Was a big to-do at the time, grandparents came down to witness it, and got out of school early that Friday… (Those were the days) and then started going to confession afterwards. Probably around a year or 2 later.
Actually, Confession comes before 1st Communion, so unless you were instructed incorrectly (which wouldn’t have been your fault) you probably are mixing the two up.
God bless.

David Storm:
Not to mention, the next time I do go to confession, its gonna be a doozy… (smiles)

Thank you for the advice.
Those confessions are the most fun (for the penitent, that is! 😉 Go for it.

Welcome Home! Contact your parish, explain your situation to the priest there and inquire about getting enrolled in the Rite of Catholic Initiation, which is the course of study for those who wish to receive any missing sacraments. In your case, Confirmation. Make a good confession and hopefully regularly attend mass once again with frequent reception of Holy Communion. You will be strengthened by the Eucharist, and over the course of your study, will be open and ready for the Sacrament of Confirmation. Hopefully, if you are married, you will need to be sure that you are in a sacramental, i.e.Catholic marriage prior to receiving Holy Communion. All your questions can be answered by your parish priest. Call him soon while you still have the courage to explore. Nothing makes God happier than to find his lost sheep. He searches for that lost coin. You are what he has been looking for. God bless you on your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back