Trust in the Church

• Thread starter Thread starter scylla
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scylla

A few days ago , while I was taking a nap, my sister in law made a comment about something she heard on the news. (She goes to Calvary Chapel.) She said to my wife (a new Catholic) that Catholics have started to worship Saint Death in Mexico. She saw on the news that there was a procession, with a priest in honor of Saint Death!

This disturbed my wife as she is returning to the faith like I have and is pretty new to all of this. She didn’t know what to say and just told my sister she didn’t know anything about it. When I woke up and my wife told me about this I was disturbed. I didn’t know anything about it, though I did see a picture of Saint Death in Mexico a few weeks ago. I kinda brushed it off and thought it was a just something weird someone made back there.

I was a little worried and it was quiet in the car as we drove home after my wife told me about it. I didn’t know what to say, what would you say? So I said a little prayer in my head, to the effect of, give me the answer, please!
Well the Church had been right on so many other occasions, I figured I have come this far there must be a good reason for this.
I told my wife, I am sure there is a good answer, why don’t you look it up when we get home, and then you can explain to your sister what we find out. So we drove home with me a little more confident because I didn’t just make up an answer to this question about what is Saint Death, and why did my sister in law hear this on the news?

We look it up and it turns out that there is a new church in Mexico that is called the
Traditional Catholic Church of Mexico USA

They have invented a saint called Saint Death and believe he does miracles for them, such as save lives and kills people based on Gods orders. This is a another new invented religion that has come up and is growing. With their own priest and now their own little following, that is disturbingly growing.

As always the good old Catholic Church comes out true to itself, and when told of this to my sister in law, she says, oh yeah!, they did say Traditional Catholic Church She just ignored the Traditional part and believed it was the Catholic Church doing this, since it would confirm her belief that the Church is bad.

Just thought you guys would like to hear a little story.

This is a schismatic group. There was an article about it in the most recent Sunday Visitor.

La Santisima Muerte was around in Mexico a long time before the Catholic Church was there. She has always been a prevalent figure in Mexican Folk-Magic.

~cleopa

That’s right it is a schismatic group, it’s name is just worded closely and I am sure it confuses people who think it is the real Catholic Church doing this.

The Catholic Church banned devotions to Santisima Muerte in Mexico a long time ago. However, it’s not hard to see that devotion to Santisima Muerte has continued to thrive.

In Mexico, a lot of the old Indian religion is intertwined with Catholicism.

~cleopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back