Trying to Find the Right Parish

• Thread starter Thread starter philangcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philangcatholic

I have decided that I want to become Catholic. BUT…its very hard finding the right parish. I came from the High Church Anglican position. Basically, they were Anglicans who worshipped with a pre-Novus Ordo Mass style based on the Book of Common Prayer. Actually, it was lovely, it had chanting, incense, everything that ought to be in a Mass. But the closest Catholic thing to that was a Tridentine parish. I tried it out but it was AWLFUL…the priest couldn’t chant, the choir was off key, the organ was off key, everything that could go wrong did…sigh So, today I decided to try the local Catheral hoping that this would be a good Novus Ordo Mass. Boy, was I wrong…There was NO Latin whatsoever! There was no incense! There weren’t even bells rung when the Body and Blood were consecrated! sigh I don’t want to look at Vatican II as a protestantizing of the Catholic Church. But I want to find a Novus Ordo Mass that preserves the Latin as Vatican II intended. Something like the Masses on EWTN. They have just the right mixture of Latin and English. sigh I need help!!!

P.S. Am I being too picky?

You don’t mention how accessible other parishes are to you, and whether or not distance is a problem. If it is not, ask the Lord to guide you to the place where your spirit will grow in God’s love and fidelity. Try several different masses; i.e., Saturday night vigil, early or late Sunday. There are other lawful rites, such as the Byzantine or Maronite, which do make use of chant and incense.

It may also be that God is stretching you, spiritually, to learn the essence of liturgy, so that the incidentals do not disrupt your peace and ability to worship Him. As we approach the feast of the Incarnation, think about the lowly stable in which the Lord of the Universe humbled Himself to be born. It was not the rabbis that received the first glad tidings, but lowly shepherds in the field, who were the first to come and adore.

The Lord desires us to adore Him in spirit and truth, no matter whether the celebration is festive and glorious, or more common, such as a low Mass during the week. The most important point to remember is that Jesus is offerng Himself to God … with us … “for OUR good and the good of ALL His Church.” His sacrifice does not change in the immutable parts - the only thing that changes are some of the externals that are not of the essence, such as hymns, use of incense, sprinkling rite, omitting the gloria or alleluia according to the seasons of the years, etc., etc.

I hope this is helpful for you,

Carole

Congratulations for your decision, and welcome!

I actually do think, at this time of your formation, that you might be a little too focused on the rubrics of the celebration of the Mass. The celebration of the Mass, whether English, Latin, or whatever, is the celebration with Jesus, by Jesus, and in sacrifice of Jesus that we all have the wonderful opportunity to participate in. We also receive the Eucharist, the Body and Blood of Christ. For those gracious gifts I would celebrate anywhere, anytime, and in any language!

What is important is learning the teachings of the Church, learning about the sacraments, learning more about Jesus and His teachings.

As an idea, you might want to consider finding where is there a good Spiritual adviser/director to help you, and/or a good RCIA program. Get engaged in a program where you really feel the people can help you grow your faith.

40.png
philangcatholic:
P.S. Am I being too picky?
If you plan to stay in Baltimore, yes, you are being too picky. I’ve been to one Mass as you describe in recent years, and that was a private Mass celebrated for someone’s wedding anniversary. You would have loved it - smells, bells, Latin, schola singing Palestrina… But that just doesn’t happen here on a regular basis.

I concur with the people who have already told you to concentrate more on essence than accidents. Your best course of action here in Baltimore is to find a parish where they don’t mess with the Mass and teach the truth. In general, wherever you go, the music will be dismal. The exceptions to the dismal music rule are the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen (once you get over your disappointment at the lack of Latin, etc.) and St. Dominic’s in Hamilton. St. Dominic’s has a choir of men and boys and the director really tries to do things tastefully. I haven’t been there, but I suspect Nativity in Timonium would be good, too.

For good doctrine and doing the Mass correctly, I advise the Shrine of the Little Flower, St. Thomas in Hampden, St. Agnes in Catonsville and St. John’s in Westminster. I’ll bet you’d like St. Bartholomew’s in Manchester (past Westminster to the west) - the pastor is a kindred spirit with you. The Cathedral is pretty good, too. I’m sure there are others that I’m not familiar with.

Good luck to you - PM me if you like.

Betsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back