Trying to form conscience and feeling overwhelmed

  • Thread starter Thread starter onegirlinchrist
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

onegirlinchrist

Guest
Hi All,

I really want to form my conscience properly and adhere to church teaching, but I’m finding it very difficult to do so because I tend to get different answers about what the church teaches depending on the source.

An example would be related to sexual purity; I found one website citing french kissing outside of marriage as a mortal sin based on Pope Alexander Vll (some condemned decree)…to writings by respected theologians that it is a matter of conscience…ranging to some who say it can be mortally sinful even for married couples when not followed by the marital embrace…just all over the place. If the Pope really ruled on this, why does it continue to be debated? If Pope Vll ruled on this, why is kissing not addressed in the catechism? If the catechism is not exhaustive, then how on earth can a person form their conscience? It’s obviously impractical to dig through every website, every ecumenical council, every decree 🤷

Not so interested in this issue per se, as just how on earth to know who to listen to. It’s not enough that a bishop or priest says it…I’ve heard that something is dogma only when infallibly decreed by a pope, or taught by a pope in unity with the bishops…but then how do you know if something has been taught in unity between popes and bishops without living your life in a library doing endless research?

The catholic tradition is just so vast. So many popes. So many bishops. So many priests. So many theologians.

If I follow the catechism and then follow my conscience for areas the catechism doesn’t address or state clearly, is that sufficient?

I’m honestly quite exasperated and distressed :confused:
 
Ok, I feel better now.

After reading that condemned statement by Pope Alexander Vll, I decided he was referring to kissing for a carnal sake only (kissing motivated by lust not love). Therefore, I think there would be a place for passionate kissing in dating that is still chaste. Now I’m less troubled by the fact that some Catholics and theologians subscribe to the latter idea, and the fact that the catechism doesn’t mention the condemned statement by the Pope. It seems there is more room for discussion here than I had presumed.

In case anyone is interested, here’s the website and condemned statement:

youngandcatholic.net/2013/04/ask-mary-how-far-is-too-far-the-church-has-a-really-practical-answer/

I think I’ve answered my own question. Stick to the catechism and then follow the conscience. Researching topics in great detail tends to cause anxiety and confusion; statements from past councils and other writings can be misinterpreted.
 
Use the catechism. Understanding what is and isn’t a sin is not something that ought to be an issue of confusion in the Catholic Church. That’s really the whole point of the Church to begin with, because otherwise you’re left to the devices of personal speculation and guessing.
 
Hi All,

I really want to form my conscience properly and adhere to church teaching, but I’m finding it very difficult to do so because I tend to get different answers about what the church teaches depending on the source.

An example would be related to sexual purity; I found one website citing french kissing outside of marriage as a mortal sin based on Pope Alexander Vll (some condemned decree)…to writings by respected theologians that it is a matter of conscience…ranging to some who say it can be mortally sinful even for married couples when not followed by the marital embrace…just all over the place. If the Pope really ruled on this, why does it continue to be debated? If Pope Vll ruled on this, why is kissing not addressed in the catechism? If the catechism is not exhaustive, then how on earth can a person form their conscience? It’s obviously impractical to dig through every website, every ecumenical council, every decree 🤷

Not so interested in this issue per se, as just how on earth to know who to listen to. It’s not enough that a bishop or priest says it…I’ve heard that something is dogma only when infallibly decreed by a pope, or taught by a pope in unity with the bishops…but then how do you know if something has been taught in unity between popes and bishops without living your life in a library doing endless research?

The catholic tradition is just so vast. So many popes. So many bishops. So many priests. So many theologians.

If I follow the catechism and then follow my conscience for areas the catechism doesn’t address or state clearly, is that sufficient?

I’m honestly quite exasperated and distressed :confused:
Okay, you need to go and discuss this with a priest for some spiritual direction. It’s not good to have a lot of different arrows pulling you in different directions.
 
Ditto the Catechism.
As wonderful as the internet is, we can find all kinds of conflicting ideas. Invest in a copy of the catechism if you can, or read it online. God bless you.
Remember to go to Mass, Reconciliation, and receive the Eucharist worthily.
God bless.
 
You mentioned the Catechism. What version of the Catechism are you reading? I would recommend the Youth Catechism of the Catholic Church, also known as YOUCAT. I haven’t read much of it, but I have heard that it is a solid, true Catechism that is easier to read than the standard Catechism of the Catholic Church. At this time, I think you are better off reading one well-written Catechism than trying to sort out a multitude of often-conflicting sources.

Bear in mind also that not everything written by a theologian, saint, bishop, or pope is infallible. The Catechism is supposed to sort it all out and keep what is true and useful.

May God bless you and guide you on your faith journey.
 
The Church cannot rule on every human activity. So many things; thoughts, touches, alcohol use, gambling, etc. can be harmless or they can be sinful depending on intent and circumstance.
 
Hi All,

I really want to form my conscience properly and adhere to church teaching, but I’m finding it very difficult to do so because I tend to get different answers about what the church teaches depending on the source.

An example would be related to sexual purity; I found one website citing french kissing outside of marriage as a mortal sin based on Pope Alexander Vll (some condemned decree)…to writings by respected theologians that it is a matter of conscience…ranging to some who say it can be mortally sinful even for married couples when not followed by the marital embrace…just all over the place. If the Pope really ruled on this, why does it continue to be debated? If Pope Vll ruled on this, why is kissing not addressed in the catechism? If the catechism is not exhaustive, then how on earth can a person form their conscience? It’s obviously impractical to dig through every website, every ecumenical council, every decree 🤷

Not so interested in this issue per se, as just how on earth to know who to listen to. It’s not enough that a bishop or priest says it…I’ve heard that something is dogma only when infallibly decreed by a pope, or taught by a pope in unity with the bishops…but then how do you know if something has been taught in unity between popes and bishops without living your life in a library doing endless research?

The catholic tradition is just so vast. So many popes. So many bishops. So many priests. So many theologians.

If I follow the catechism and then follow my conscience for areas the catechism doesn’t address or state clearly, is that sufficient?

I’m honestly quite exasperated and distressed :confused:
Which is why, although we must study the faith, our most apt teacher is the Holy Spirit who gladly guides and admonishes, lifts up and purifies the heart that is ready to be molded. Prayer is as important as the catechism. An increase of faith and love for God is what transforms the conscience so that what we once were comfortable doing, we can no longer due for fear of offense to God. It is a gradual transformation and understanding brought about by the desire to please God and a conviction to place Him first in our life. Blessings! 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top