Turning the other cheek?

• Thread starter Thread starter aine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aine

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone ever turned the other cheek on a situation only to regret it later on or had the situation become worse? There is a situation where i can turn the other cheek but i feel that if i do so the problem will only get worse and i dont want it to happen to anyone else… if i say something now i feel i can combat it from hurting others… What do u think? Any great words of wisdom anyone?

Dear Aine,

Generous souls find this “cheek” business a trap of sorts, for being so willing to follow Christ, they sometimes lose perspective and stay in situations where they should flee. I know someone personally who was in an abusive situation where life itself was threatened, but who maintained a martyr’s heroism due to a misplaced ideal that a true christian would turn the other cheek. Nobody – neither attorney, nor priest — was able to convince this person to abandon the relationship.

Doesn’t it have a ring similar to Jesus’s temptation? “Throw yourself down from here, for scripture says God has given His angels charge over you!”

You don’t mention the serious nature of your situation, but if it is life threatening, I pray you will let holy common sense be your true guide.

🙂 Carole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back