Two inmates Find Faith's Freedom

• Thread starter Thread starter aimee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aimee

Inmate Michael Roberts is baptized by Archbishop-emeritus John F. Donoghue during a Sept. 29 service at Hays State Prison, Trion. (Photo by Michael Alexander)

TRION—Hays State Prison inmate Michael Roberts is at peace for the first time in his life as he and fellow inmate Matthew Cahill took important steps on their journeys of conversion to the Catholic faith and to follow Jesus Christ.

Archbishop-emeritus John F. Donoghue, wearing red and gold vestments and miter, baptized and confirmed Roberts and Cahill Sept. 29, and challenged all inmates gathered in the chapel at Hays to strive to live with integrity and holiness, whether in prison or after their release.

The baptisms took place at a Mass before members of the prison’s Catholic community and those from the nondenominational Faith and Character-Based Dormitory, a pilot project to fight recidivism.

http://www.georgiabulletin.org/media/images/20051110-01.jpg

georgiabulletin.org/local/2005/11/10/prison/

Very uplifting article, it brings to mind the Scripture

from Matthew 25: 31-40

31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, 32 and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ 40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’

Very True …I’m glad to see the improvement here…although, we have a ways to go…

BTW, one of the books that made a difference to one of the inmates was Karl Keating’s book “Catholicism and Fundamentalism.”

Thanks Be To God!
If you think it’s anti-Catholic out here…those guys have it way way worse.

Thanks for sharing this Aimee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back