'uncatholic' Catholics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Abira
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Code of Canon Law, there is no specific prohibition against receiving Communion for for Catholics who disagree with Church teaching per se unless they a) have been excommunicated (or in the process) or b) are aware of grave (mortal) sin. Here is the relevant section:
vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P39.HTM

I think the salient point, however, is obedience. The church will not turn away those who disagree, so long as they are obedient to the teaching? For example, a communicant may disagree with the church’s teaching that homosexual behavior is prohibited. Such a person could receive communion if the person were obedient to the teaching, and was not acting on their sexual orientation,but if such a person is in an active homosexual relationship, then that person would be considered to be in mortal sin, and not able to receive.
 
my point is plain and simple. Just because someone is baptised in the RC and yet has fallen away does not make them ‘better’ than someone baptised in the anglican church and who follows the teachings of the church. I pray to Mary, the saints, Christ is present in the Eucharist, I hold to many tenets of faith that fallen away catholics do not. The churhc does not teach that by being baptised in the actual RC makes you a better christian candidate. Baptism is baptism, if done properally (which as a memebr of the churhc of england it was). To say someone is in better standing because they had a superior baptism yet follow none of the RC teachings is nonesense and total supremist propaganda! It’s not that hard to see, especially when I am lookgin in from the outside. Step back and look at what the comments are saying. It is un-catholic and un-christian!

A fallen away catholic is nothing better just because of the merits of his RC baptism. If the views expressed on this board are a consensus of the majority views then I pray to God the Anglican church in canada does not join rome over this homosexual issue currently going on!
 
a fallen awya catholic is a ‘practical protestant’ if they are believing protestant doctorines and living a protestant life, then they are protestant not rc! Now where disenting catholics who try and bring about reform fit into this, i have not yet figured out.
 
eternal damnation? I thought the only sin that God cannot forgive is when someone turns their back on the spirit…excluding all possibilities of opening themselves up to the spirit and to a new life.

I know that a Catholic should not take communion when in sin because they believe in the real presence…and so would not want to tarnish it…but I didn’t know that last part.

Take care, S
A Catholic who is in a state of unrepentant mortal sin HAS turned their back on the Holy Spirit.
 
Receiving Communion when in a state of mortal sin is another mortal sin. If the person repents of both mortal sins in Confession, he can be absolved and will not be facing hell. He will only go to hell if he dies in the state of mortal sin without repenting and confessing.
yeah that’s what I understood…must be just a lnguage thing in that post 🙂

S
 
A Catholic who is in a state of unrepentant mortal sin HAS turned their back on the Holy Spirit.
hi blessed,

this has been cleared up… I think it must have been a language thing as the post didn’t mention being unrepentent…just taking communion when rebelling against church teaching.

S 🙂

lak611: "Receiving Communion when in a state of mortal sin is another mortal sin. If the person repents of both mortal sins in Confession, he can be absolved and will not be facing hell. He will only go to hell if he dies in the state of mortal sin without repenting and confessing.
 
In reply to the OP:

A foreign woman from a very poor area in a country of Europe was touring the United States as a gift, she could not have afforded the trip on her own. After travelling the U.S. for a week one of her tour partners was astounded to here her make this remark:

“I feel terrible for the people of the United States.” The tour partner turned to the woman and asked why. The woman said, “Because there is so much wealth in this country, it would be nearly impossible for people to have true faith, they would have grown up not seeing a need for God and for that I am quite sad for all of the people of the United States.”

Parents, married, unmarried, single, children, et al, are surrounded by material wealth the likes of which have never been seen. It is remarkably easy for Catholics to quickly become “uncatholic” in a country that reflects no need for God.
 
In reply to the OP:

A foreign woman from a very poor area in a country of Europe was touring the United States as a gift, she could not have afforded the trip on her own. After travelling the U.S. for a week one of her tour partners was astounded to here her make this remark:

“I feel terrible for the people of the United States.” The tour partner turned to the woman and asked why. The woman said, “Because there is so much wealth in this country, it would be nearly impossible for people to have true faith, they would have grown up not seeing a need for God and for that I am quite sad for all of the people of the United States.”

Parents, married, unmarried, single, children, et al, are surrounded by material wealth the likes of which have never been seen. It is remarkably easy for Catholics to quickly become “uncatholic” in a country that reflects no need for God.
good point.

although we are all tested, whether it be through material things or through emotional trail…and even in a country that is rich, we are never rich in all things… and I think there is equal need for God in all places, just in different forms.

Take care, S
 
good point.

although we are all tested, whether it be through material things or through emotional trail…and even in a country that is rich, we are never rich in all things… and I think there is equal need for God in all places, just in different forms.

Take care, S
Yes, there is need for God everywhere, yet that does not mean people see the need or feel the need. In a very rich nation, it is much more difficult for people to see the need.
 
Abira,
Try sending your friends a copy of “The Catechism of the Catholic Church” in the mail - anonymously. Maybe it will intrigue them enough to begin reading it. Who knows?

The paperback, pocket size are only about $8.00 (US). You can also fine “used” copies (in excellent condition) that would be less than that at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
 
Yes, there is need for God everywhere, yet that does not mean people see the need or feel the need. In a very rich nation, it is much more difficult for people to see the need.
ok, now we are in complete agreement lol 🙂
 
Abira,
Try sending your friends a copy of “The Catechism of the Catholic Church” in the mail - anonymously. Maybe it will intrigue them enough to begin reading it. Who knows?

The paperback, pocket size are only about $8.00 (US). You can also fine “used” copies (in excellent condition) that would be less than that at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
lol lol, they would definately definately know it was me lol… plus I’ve never seen a copy myself yet… though I think you’re always more likely to read things in a book as opposed to online.

I was going to buy a catechism before but I couldn’t find an excuse… I felt i needed one (an excuse that is). I’ll maybe get him one as a present lol.

actually I’ve changed my mind whilst writing this… it may work with Tom as he likes to read that kinda material…anonamously is the way to go lol…though he’d know it was me 🙂

S
 
lol lol, they would definately definately know it was me lol… plus I’ve never seen a copy myself yet… though I think you’re always more likely to read things in a book as opposed to online.

I was going to buy a catechism before but I couldn’t find an excuse… I felt i needed one (an excuse that is). I’ll maybe get him one as a present lol.

actually I’ve changed my mind whilst writing this… it may work with Tom as he likes to read that kinda material…anonamously is the way to go lol…though he’d know it was me 🙂

S
The Catechism is available online too. Here’s a link. christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/ccc_cont.html
 
yeah i sometimes check things on that… i think I might just have an old fashioned affection for paper 🙂
I have the Catechism in paperback also. I purchased the book before I got a computer. After I got my computer, I found the Catechism online and bookmarked the site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top