Understanding ...

• Thread starter Thread starter Karin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Karin

Help me out here…I have a question regarding the Catholic faith…let me state once again a question (not a jab or insult or anything else negative)…

The Catholic Belief is: To gain the happiness of heaven we must know, love, and serve God in this world. Man must know, love and serve God in a supernatural manner in order to gain happiness of heaven. Man is raised to the supernatural order only by grace, a free gift of God. We learn to know, love, and serve God from Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who teaches us through the Catholic Church.

So the question is knowing God and Jesus Christ the same as understanding him?

Dear friend

We come to understand our Lord by the mystery and receipt of His Sacraments, through Tradition of the Church, by Sacred Scripture and in our own intimate relationship with Him through prayer. We can by meditation and prayer compose our own 5th Gospel in this respect and this 5th Gospel is based on our understanding borne out of Love of God formed in obedience to the Catholic Church which safeguards the Eternal Truth of God made manifest and revealed in His Son Christ Jesus by the Power of the Holy Spirit.

Understanding and knowing God is a lifetime’s formation, this is the journey in faith and many lights and graces are graced upon us as we strive to follow in the footsteps of our Master, Christ Jesus.

We will not fully know God nor understand all the mysteries of His ways until we are blessed with the Beatific Vision when eternal life begins after death.

We must constantly seek our Lord and ask the Holy Spirit to recreate us and inform our consciences thus to delve deeper into the mysteries of the Sacred Scripture and perceive by grace it’s deepest meanings. The revealed truth of Christ Jesus is full and final revelation, it is complete, all that is lacking is indeed, our understanding and the darkness in which we reside cannot know all of God through the dimness of the veil by which we view Him. We must always guard against personalising God to such an extent that we creat a god for ourselves, we must always be obedient to the precepts of the Church and not place human restriction upon Divinity.

The Mysteries of God which the mind cannot comprehend but the heart aches to seek from love and obedience is a historical longing of all mankind since the beginnings of time.

Pray to the Holy Spirit and learn all you can about the Catholic Faith, ultimately though all the learning in the world will not set the soul and heart on fire with zeal for God, rather grace from God will.

Ask the Holy Spirit to show Christ Jesus to you. He will not fail you.

Knowing and understanding are not the same things, but one comes from the other, if we know someone we can to some extent understand them if we desire to and vice versa. More importantly if we never know someone we can never even attempt to understand them, so it is with God, if we never strive to know Him we have no hope of ever understanding any small grace of light about the Almighty. That leads to the question: Where do we find truth, where do we come to understand the Almighty? In the Church He founded, the Catholic Church is where you will find the fullness of revealed truth and come to the fullest understanding and knowing of God you can. We have no right to know God, it is His gift to us, the gift of faith and in this gift of faith, we come to know HIm by His most merciful grace.

We must not remain as children in our faith, we must mature in faith as we grow older and older and the greatest thing we can develop in our journey in faith is humility, from this humility will come obedience and from this obedience will come trust in God, all of this comes from Love.

We must always listen to the interior inspirations of the Holy Spirit. We are safeguarded in this by comparing these inspirations with the Precepts of the Catholic Church.

In short, if you know Love, you know God, a love that is not of self, but is of Christ Jesus and you can only know, love and seek God because friend, He loves, seeks and knows you first.

‘None can come to Me unless the Father draw him’

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Teresa-
I thank you for the reply. I am PM you a question I hope you can help me with.
Thank you once again!
-Karin

EWTN** - **Novena to the Holy Spirit for the Seven Gifts

The Gift of Understanding
Understanding, as a gift of the Holy Spirit, helps us to grasp the meaning of the truths of our holy religion BY faith we know them, but by Understanding we learn to appreciate and relish them. It enables us to penetrate the inner meaning of revealed truths and through them to be quickened to newness of life. Our faith ceases to be sterile and inactive, but inspires a mode of life that bears eloquent testimony to the faith that is in us; we begin to “walk worthy of God in all things pleasing, and increasing in the knowledge of God.”

Prayer

Come, O Spirit of Understanding, and enlighten our minds, that we may know and believe all the mysteries of salvation; and may merit at last to see the eternal light in Thy Light; and in the light of glory to have a clear vision of Thee and the Father and the Son. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back