Unforgivable sin? Heb 6:3-6

  • Thread starter Thread starter Linus2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linus2

Guest
Is this passage telling me that there is sin that cannot be forgiven? or am I mis-reading it?
I was under the impression that all sin could be forgiven.
 
I don’t recall where, but there is also a passage later on that tells you that you are supposed to fogive at all times for ever. I think the analogy of 7x70 times is used, or something along those lines.

But I’ll leave the quoting to those that are good at that. 😃

Also, for the Hebrews there are definately unforgivable sins (if I am not mistaken). So it could be that such things are written in the Old Testament. But for Christians that should definately not be the case.
 
Always remember…nothing is impossible with God, however God will not violate a person’s free will…as long as a person is willing to repent, it doesn’t matter how many times he or she may turn away…God’s grace is always available…it only becomes impossible when a person stubbornly and consistently refuses that grace and continues to turn away from it.
 
I just completed bible study on Hebrews. However, we only touched on this a little, but here’s what it said.

In 6:4-6 is talking about those who received Christian initiation (ie Baptism, Eucharist, and confirmation) and then reject Christ’s sacrifice.

Later, in 10:26-27, we see a similar statement. “If we sin deliberately after receiving knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains sacrifice for sins but a fearful prospect of judgment and a flaming fire that is going to consume the adversaries.”

Our commentary says that for the Jewish Christians having embraced Christian faith, that if they now reject Christ’s sacrifice for sins, there is no other sacrifice because the sacrifices of the old covenant have been superseded by the all-sufficient sacrifice of Christ (which they now reject). That is, they can’t go back to their old ways (the old covenant sacrifices). For sins to be forgiven, they must accept Jesus’ sacrifice. The author is using this as a warning to the community he was speaking to, so they recognize the seriousness of their situation if they decide to reject Christ.

It doesn’t mean that there is an unforgiveable sin if you accept Christ. Only if you reject Him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top