Use of Incense in Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter crobynb
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crobynb

How many of you use incense or candles to enhance your prayer life? Feel free to share reasons to encourage or discourage incense use for laypersons in the home. Also, recommendations on types or styles of burners and incense would not be bad to have either for those interested in incorporating this practice into their home prayer.

I don’t use them just because I use to dabble in Buddhism her and there in my early twenties and it tends to remind me of that. Of course it was a good time in my life, but if I was to pray with things like that around me I would tend to be distracted. I can definitely see how it would help one to be in a meditative state of mind, no matter what one is meditating on.

I’ve used incense in meditation for many years. While I have been away from the catholic church for around 20 years, I occasionally prayed to god during this tim away. Incence has been a part of my meditation for years. With and without religion.

I always lit a stick of incense before praying the rosary in front of my altar. It has always been a practice for me, especially when I want to follow the Levitican rule over using incense as an offering to God.

After all, our prayers that the Saints intercede rise up like incense before the Almighty!

no incense, no candles, I have asthma and don’t burn anything inside the house (unless I forget a pan on the stove) also don’t grill with charcoal for the same reason.

My family uses incense for certain holy days.We use only pure resin incense (like the church, you need to burn it on a bit of lit charcoal) My daughter loves incense and uses the stick variety.

some stick incense is made with questionable materials. She had some baby chicks in her room, and when she burned incense they did somersaults! Some of it is bad stuff, so be careful about what you use. The binders etc can have allergins or toxins in them.

The resin incense and the charcoal tablets for burning it are available on-line, on e-bay etc. It is not too costly. You can purchase a brass “burner” to hold it, or just use a dish with kitty litter or a clay flower pot or the like to burn it on.

The church incense is frankincense. Other types of resin incense are myrrh, copal, dragon’s blood. But frankincense and copal are the sweetest. Resin is hardened tree sap.

Myrrh and dragon’s blood have a bitter scent. I use myrrh occassionaly but dislike dragon’s blood.

Some healthfood stores carry frankincense resin, sometimes call frankincense tears. It can be used for healing.

Another alternative to burning incense (though that is a special thing, nice how the smoke rises like prayers) is to use essential oils. A few years ago little tea light potpourri burners were all the rage. You can add a drop or two of essential oil (also available at health food stores) to the water and the steam will be scented. Or you could even put it on a mug of hot water and forgoe flame altogether.

cheddar

40.png
crobynb:
How many of you use incense or candles to enhance your prayer life? Feel free to share reasons to encourage or discourage incense use for laypersons in the home. Also, recommendations on types or styles of burners and incense would not be bad to have either for those interested in incorporating this practice into their home prayer.
I just recently reinstated my altar, (well before it was in a hard to see area) to do the divine office infront of. I bought some frankincense and myrhh to burn infront of it to help me meditate…really helps. Especially with the gregorian chant blaring in the background.

“Let my prayer rise like insence before You and the lifting up of my hands like an evening sacrifice.”

We say this in Vespers.
It just seems fitting to quote it here…

Almost always light incense while I pray Lauds and Vespers at home.

👍

I don’t use insence but I do lite a red candle in front of my statue of our Blessed Lady when I pray the Rosary…somehow makes me feel more connected to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back