Using his name in Vain

• Thread starter Thread starter TruthSeeker3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TruthSeeker3

I was doing biblical meditation on what God means by using his name in vain. He showed me that this was when someone claims to be a Christian or uses his name, yet does not walk in spirit as a disciple. He showed me we are ambassadors of Christ, yet to walk full of sin with ones heart not of love while using his name was using his name in vain. Yet, many believe this is using his name just as a cuss word. Have they lost the understanding? Thoughts?

From Luther’s Large Catechism
If, then, it be asked: How do you understand the Second Commandment, or what is meant by taking in vain, or misusing God’s name? answer briefly thus: It is misusing God’s name when we call upon the Lord God, no matter in what way, for purposes of falsehood or wrong of any kind. Therefore this commandment enjoins this much, that God’s name must not be appealed to falsely, or taken upon the lips, while the heart knows well enough, or should know, differently; as among those who take oaths in court, where one side lies against the other. [52]](http://www.bookofconcord.org/lc-3-tencommandments.php#para52) For God’s name cannot be misused worse than for the support of falsehood and deceit. Let this remain the exact German and simplest meaning of this commandment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back