Using swear words?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Theresalux
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No it’s not. I don’t care about what total strangers think, I care about what the Church teaches.
 
Try as I might, bad words fly out of my mouth when the cast iron skillet hits my toe!

Normally, I’m not much of a cusser at all and certain words never leave my lips. But pain just triggers that reptilian brain center and the bad words flow! 😂😂😂
 
There was a co worker that would exclaim, “Bad Word, Really Bad Word”. when appropriate. I try to do that, too. Same point comes across without saying the bad words!
 
No it’s not. I don’t care about what total strangers think, I care about what the Church teaches.
Then show me where in church documents it tells me what words I can and cannot say. Not the category of words, the actual, specific words. Unless you can do that, you’re using some form of what you call “relativism.”
 
This thread, and the people who are saying that they come up with alternative swear words, makes me think of this commercial 😂🤣😂
 
It’s probably worth mentioning that a few times in the OT prophets, and in the NT at least once I’m aware of (Philippians 3:8) vulgarity in the original language is absolutely used. Paul, in his letter to the Philippians, uses the term “skubala” which is typically translated as “trash” or “refuse”, but in the original language is more accurately translated as the vulgar form of excrement. Some scholars disagree on this point, but it was very widely accepted among the Greek scholars I knew in my Bible college days.

Scripture, and Paul himself, also commands that vulgarity not be used and only speech which builds up. So what can we take from this?

If you’re swearing to be funny, emulate someone else, curse another, or appear “cool”, then you’re on the wrong track. If you’re using it poetically to communicate an extreme point for the sake of others, then it seems like you are using the tool of language appropriately.

I have not once encountered this in my own life, though I admit swearing is a problem for me when I am upset. I’ve picked it up from my days before I was a Christian and it’s a hard habit to kick. I tee-total swearing as much as I can to stop so I try my hardest to never use it, but I think it’s hard to make the case that it should not ever be used at all. The Bible is certainly NOT a clean work, it’s brutally honest to get hard truth across. Those who can do this seem free to do so. I am not one of them so I will leave the appropriate use of extreme words to others more gifted than I. 🙂

Remember also Romans 14:14 that nothing is unclean by itself. It’s all about how its used. From “out of the heart” and all that. Is language being used to communicate to those who need to hear it?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top