Using the Lords name in Vain.

• Thread starter Thread starter 1plus1equals2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

1plus1equals2

Saying god d****t is almost always defined as taking the lords name in vain. But when you say god bless you to someone that sneezes it is not. The definition of Vain is - a deceiving lack of real substance or soundness or genuineness.

Now if you say GD to something and you mean it, and if you say God bless you and dont truely mean it, which is the example of using the lords name in vain?

When someone sneezes and I say “God Bless You” I mean it.

40.png
1plus1equals2:
Saying god d****t is almost always defined as taking the lords name in vain. But when you say god bless you to someone that sneezes it is not. The definition of Vain is - a deceiving lack of real substance or soundness or genuineness.

Now if you say GD to something and you mean it, and if you say God bless you and dont truely mean it, which is the example of using the lords name in vain?
The one who uses it in all sincerity does not take the Lord’s name in vain, whether you refer to Him as G_d or God. It is the true intent that matters.

Gerry 🙂

I’m not an expert, but I believe when you sneeze you’re heart stops beating for a very small amount of time. Perhaps it’s an urban legend? But if not, a blessing that one doesn’t die from such a common event!

I just finished reading Scott Hahn’s Swear to God, which focuses on the meanings of oaths and on cursing, and their relation to the sacraments. It’s a pretty good read; I learned a lot.

Yes, I’ve wondered about this too. Is it OK for a Christian to say “oh my God”, as an exclamation? I’m talking about people who have real love for God in their heart.

God bless (and I mean it!),
TTM

40.png
TTM:
Yes, I’ve wondered about this too. Is it OK for a Christian to say “oh my God”, as an exclamation? I’m talking about people who have real love for God in their heart.

Hi. I do not believe that using God’s name as an exclamation is proper, it is taking the name of God carlessly, without meaning or respect. When friends or contacts do so I usually bring it to their attention and the vast majority of the time, they say “I never thought of it like that.” A few do not agree and I then ask them not to say it around me; they don’t like it but usually try to refrain.

When I aks people not to use the Lord’s name in vain (for “gd” or any other indescretion) they usually say to me, sincerly, “I’m sorry if I offended you.” and I usually reply, “it’s God you should say your sorry to,” (in a friendly tone) and it usually makes them think.

I never use the Lord’s name in vain or use vulger words:nope: , but I could use you prayers in trying not to be so callus in when I talk to others:( . It is easy to say what we do not do but hard to admit what we do.

May the Lord Jesus Christ, bless you now and always and forever :amen: .

‘taking the Lord’s name in vain’ is saying ‘God’ or ‘Jesus’ and not meaning it. in other words ‘oh my God’ is taking His name in vain, as is ‘JC’ and ‘GD’.

most people i know say ‘bless you’ instead of ‘God bless you’, but most people i know who say ‘God bless you’ mean it.

it matters that you MEAN it when you say His name. even ‘oh, God’ can be taking His name in vain, or can be a heartfelt prayer, depending on if you mean it when you say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back