Vatican Position on Greek Philosophy

• Thread starter Thread starter Absalon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Absalon

I was non-practising Lutheran but became a practising Catholicism through studying philosophy, as this convinced me of the truth contained in the Sacred Tradition.

It is an undisputable fact and officially recognised by the Vatican that Greek philosophy has had a vital influence on the Catholic faith. This is made clear primarily trough the foundational role that the Holy Fathers and the Scholastics play in the Sacred Tradition, as these great theologians clearly state how their ideas were shaped by Greek philosophy (e.g. St. Augustine’s being influenced by Neoplatonism and Stoicism, Thomas Aquinas being influenced by Aristotle).

My question is, what is the official position of the Vatican and the leadership of the Catholic Church on the Greek philosophers, e.g. Plato and Aristotle? I am aware of their position on the post-Christ theologians and understand that they embrace Greek philosophy indirectly through the Holy Fathers and Scholastics, but do they state a position directly on the pre-Christ pagan philosophers?

PS. I have found vague hints, such as Pope Benedict XVI’s condemnation of what he refers to as “Dehellenisation” and consequent defence of Greek philosophical influence (“Faith, Reason, and the University: Memories and Reflections,” Lecture of the Holy Father at Aula Magna of the University of Regensburg, September 2006) and Pope Pope Leo XIII’s embrace of Greek philosophy as the “hedge and fence of the vine [of Catholic faith]” (“On the Restoration of Christian Philosophy”, August 1879). I cannot, however, find any position on individual Greek philosophers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back