Veneration of the True Cross

• Thread starter Thread starter starrs0
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starrs0

I have been privileged to be offered the opportunity to venerate a fragment of the True Cross this Friday does anyone know of any special prayers I could use?

In the Eastern Catholic Church (and the Orthodox Church), chants the following Troparion during the Third Week of Great Lent AND on September 14, which is the Feast of the Exulation of the Holy Cross

Troparion of the Cross Tone 1
Save Your people, O Lord, and bless Your inheritance; grant victory to Your Church over her enemies and protect Your people by Your Cross.

I would think it highly unlikely that anyone has a fragment of the cross Jesus was crucified on.

The Catholic Encyclopedea says historical evidence does not support the claim that St Helena found the true cross in 326 AD.
Also there were so many fragments around Europe that would have collectively made dozens of crosses.
I am open to a fragment being real, though I think its not likely as there seems to be no evidence to support it.
What is Church’s official position on this?

Hi Thistle,

I just provided the article as background information for Starrs.

As to the Church’s official position – well, as far as I know there is not one.

That is because it is a pious tradition – not Tradition with a capital T. In fact, I suppose that the finding of the True Cross would be appropriately viewed as private revelation – and we are under no obligation to accept private revelation.

That being said, it has abeen a long standing pious tradition that the True Cross had been found. So I suppose that it shouldn’t be dismissed lightly.

What do you think? I think it is good that you are open to the fragment being real, and that it is good to cultivate a healthy sense of skepticism too!

God Bless,
VC

Verbum Caro:
P.S.

Here is a pretty nice article on ourown Catholic Answers website:
catholic.com/library/Relics.asp about relics in general and the True Cross in particular.
Interesting article. It seems the Church doesn’t take an official position but allows veneration of relics that are not clearly fakes.
By the way I am inclined to believe (not yet 100%) in the bones of St Peter and also the Shroud of Turin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back