Maria, you are presumptious to say that hannah’s Priest is “perfectly” correct.
With all due respect to St. Thomas, why would someone who has a sin on their soul(any sin) not wish to go to a Priest who has been given the power to forgive sins by God and ask to be absolved. That is the Sacrament in the Catholic Church.
I see nothing in the RCC about not confessing venial sins in the Confessional.
I know that on another thread someone also quoted St. Thomas and said that at every Mass we are forgiven venial sins during the Penitential Rite. There is nothing in the Penitential Rite that absolves us from sin.
One cannot grow in spirituality by sprinkling holy water around and saying some prayers. Protestants believe that they will be forgiven their sins by asking for it. We fortunately, have the Sacrament of Penance.
Making regular trips to the Confessional and asking for absolution for all sins committed against God, will do it and it will impress upon your Soul that you must resolve to stop committing the sin (either mortal or venial).
Thank you for accusing me of the sin of presumption. I am indeed presumptuous every time I presume upon the God’s mercy to sin. I am not, though, presumptuous when I defend a priest who has said nothing in error.
Hannah said “I have been told by my own parish priest that venial sins are forgiven at mass.” Everything else in her post appears to be personal thoughts. This is correct in that we do the Asperges at Mass, say the Confiteor, and usually receive Communion.
St. Thomas shows that the use of holy water (the Asperges) and the Confiteor forgive sins, which I will expound upon later.
First, here is a quote from the CCC, saynig that Communion forgives venial sins:
**“1416 **Communion with the Body and Blood of Christ increases the communicant’s union with the Lord,
forgives his venial sins, and preserves him from grave sins. Since receiving this sacrament strengthens the bonds of charity between the communicant and Christ, it also reinforces the unity of the Church as the Mystical Body of Christ.”
You said that there was nothing in the penitential rite that could forgive sin, yet it itself is essentially an act of contrition. Sorrow for sin is expressed by the faithful in the Confiteor. Notably, the server says, “I confess to Almighty God, to blessed Mary every virgin . . . that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed, through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault” and the priest responds with, “May Almighty God have mercy on you, and, having forgiven you your sins, bring you to life everlasting. Amen. May the Almighty and merciful Lord
grant us pardon, + absolution, and remission of our sins. Amen.” (Remember, though, that this only forgives venial sins-- it not forgive mortal sins, which must be individually confessed.)
Now, I have a very basic question for you. If prayer and other sacramentals do not help us “grow in spirituality,” as you stated, what does? Prayer is what unites us with God, strengthens our resolve to avoid sin by helping us to know and love God better and without a firm life of prayer, all the Sacraments we could receive would be nothing. We have to love God first and foremost, and this firm charity towards Our Lord is established by an intimate prayer life with Him. (Please note that I am in no way saying that the Sacraments do not help us in this prayer life, just that having the Sacraments without prayer is not going to make us saints, nor is having prayer without the Sacraments.)
Protestants can indeed be forgiven of venial sin (provided they have been baptized) by a firm prayer of contrition and desire not to sin again, just as Catholics can.
Finally, I will address your confusion as to why “someone who has a sin on their soul (any sin) [would] not wish to go to a Priest who has been given the power to forgive sins by God and ask to be absolved.” I also do not understand why they would not neglect confessing merely due to their apparant holiness as confession gives the soul actual graces (as well as restores sanctifying grace for a soul in mortal sin) to resist future temptation. While it is not required to confess venial sins, it is helpful to the soul, as you pointed out. Doing so “shows our hatred of all sin” (Baltimore Catechism Q. 781).