violent movies

• Thread starter Thread starter freesoulhope
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

freesoulhope

IT seems these days that theres violence in all films even childrens animation,. my question is when does a film become morally wrong for a christian to watch? :confused:

Good question. God gave us free will and a conscience so if you’re watching a movie and the violence bothers you it’s a sign that you maybe shouldn’t be watching it.

40.png
freesoulhope:
IT seems these days that theres violence in all films even childrens animation,. my question is when does a film become morally wrong for a christian to watch? :confused:
If you believe the movie would be offensive to God, then it is morally wrong to watch it. That includes scenes of sex, swearing, vulgarity and violence, as well as themes.

For childrens’ movies, I order from Feature Films for Families
familytv.com/ Their movies are clean family movies for varying age groups.

Hi, this is my first post, I’m Ryan by the way 😃 Doesn’t it seem a little overboard to say that a movie that has some swearing or violence in it is morally wrong to watch? What if it was sayyyyy… a war film? My understanding is that no, it is not morally wrong to watch a movie because it contains swearing or violence. I mean drama is human life, and human life is drama, and movies usually try to reflect reality, and so on… It seems to me that if any of those things seriously threaten your faith or make you terribly uncomfortable then such a movie might not be for you. In the case of kids, you’ll know whether something is appropriate or inappropriate by utilizing common sense, right?

40.png
paramedicgirl:
If you believe the movie would be offensive to God, then it is morally wrong to watch it. That includes scenes of sex, swearing, vulgarity and violence, as well as themes.

For childrens’ movies, I order from Feature Films for Families
familytv.com/ Their movies are clean family movies for varying age groups.
read about the Vatican’s list of 45 “films of note” - films that include sex, swearing, violence, vulgarity - films that the Vatican recommends Catholics watch - IF they are mature and faithful and courageous and well-rounded.

www.decentfilms.com/sections/articles/2572

or here about film and art

catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0411fea1.asp

we can’t be rigorous about art nor about life in general!!

40.png
RPConover:
Hi, this is my first post, I’m Ryan by the way 😃 Doesn’t it seem a little overboard to say that a movie that has some swearing or violence in it is morally wrong to watch? What if it was sayyyyy… a war film? My understanding is that no, it is not morally wrong to watch a movie because it contains swearing or violence. I mean drama is human life, and human life is drama, and movies usually try to reflect reality, and so on… It seems to me that if any of those things seriously threaten your faith or make you terribly uncomfortable then such a movie might not be for you. In the case of kids, you’ll know whether something is appropriate or inappropriate by utilizing common sense, right?
yep, yep, yep. see the links above.

40.png
Balance:
read about the Vatican’s list of 45 “films of note” - films that include sex, swearing, violence, vulgarity - films that the Vatican recommends Catholics watch - IF they are mature and faithful and courageous and well-rounded.

www.decentfilms.com/sections/articles/2572

or here about film and art

catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0411fea1.asp

we can’t be rigorous about art nor about life in general!!
I should have mentioned that I was directing my comment to the parents responsibility to protect their children’s souls. If an adult’s soul is weak and not well developed, though, they should stay clear of movies with sex, vulgarity, etc.

40.png
paramedicgirl:
I should have mentioned that I was directing my comment to the parents responsibility to protect their children’s souls. If an adult’s soul is weak and not well developed, though, they should stay clear of movies with sex, vulgarity, etc.
yeah, probably. although they shouldn’t leave it at that - they shd obviously seek to develop their faith to a place where thay can apprecoiate a challenging film.

40.png
paramedicgirl:
or watching those sort of films prayerfully and critically will actually help develop their faith. make them think, shock them along on thier journey, wake them up a bit.

40.png
Balance:
or watching those sort of films prayerfully and critically will actually help develop their faith. make them think, shock them along on thier journey, wake them up a bit.
That depends on the age of the child and the spiritual development and moral level of responsibility of the parent. It wouldn’t work for all families.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back