Visiting a Catholic Church for the First Time

• Thread starter Thread starter rag1965
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rag1965

I was told by a number of people that when you visit a Catholic Church for the first time you can say three prayers and they will be answered. This ONLY applies to the first time you visit a specific Church. I travel for business and typically attend daily mass at different parishes around the country. Thus, I would have an opportunity to utilize this prayer request the first time I attend a mass at a different parish.

Basically, you have a one time chance to ask for specific intentions that are supposed to hold more merit than other times (i.e. that you are assured to have the prayers answered). I have been unsuccessful in finding out if this is true and how this tradition came to exist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless !!

40.png
rag1965:
I was told by a number of people that when you visit a Catholic Church for the first time you can say three prayers and they will be answered. This ONLY applies to the first time you visit a specific Church. I travel for business and typically attend daily mass at different parishes around the country. Thus, I would have an opportunity to utilize this prayer request the first time I attend a mass at a different parish.

Basically, you have a one time chance to ask for specific intentions that are supposed to hold more merit than other times (i.e. that you are assured to have the prayers answered). I have been unsuccessful in finding out if this is true and how this tradition came to exist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless !!
I’ve never heard this. it sounds like superstition.

I have never heard of this before either…I wouldn’t do it, it does sound like superstition…be careful…

Were any of those who “told you” practicing Catholics?
Tell them you want to see this, in writing, verified by the diocesean bishop as authentic teaching of the Magesterium.

Sounds like the same people who do the “St. Jude” novena with its “promise to publish this”, or people who send out chain letters or prayer rugs, etc.

I, too, agree that this sounds superstitious.

God answers all our prayers – they just might not be the answers we were expecting!

I posted something like this a while back, and couldn’t find anyone else who had ever heard of this practice,either. I grew up on the South Side of Chicago in a heavily ethnic -immigrant area. I wonder if this is just a local , cultural custom. (And, no, I never considered the practice to be superstitious, just devotional.)

It sounds a lot like rubbing a lamp and getting three wishes. If it were true, you could just parish hop every Sunday and get three free wishes. God doesn’t work that way.

God bless.

We were taught to make a wish…nothing was ever promised as a result of that wish, but we were encouraged to make a wish through a prayer intention. Peace and Pray always!

This only works if you drink the blood of an owl that was killed by having its neck wrung over a running stream at midnight, then patting your head three times as you rub your stomach counterclockwise and spitting over your left shoulder at a full moon on calander days with an odd number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back