Vocations After Separation

• Thread starter Thread starter Bare_Feet
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bare_Feet

If a spouse has been separated from the other even though they’ve children, can a man seek or get a monastic calling?

I’ve heard of some saints but can’t remember who of whom this happened to while they were married. Are these rare exceptions?

I have no idea what the official answer is, but my first instinct is to ask how old are these children? If they’re adults who are self sufficient, that might be doable. But if they’re still young, the man has an obligation to provide for them, which he can’t really do as a monk.

There are several factors involved (including which order one is discerning with), but I’ve known it to happen — an individual has a declaration of nullity of their marriage and then enters a religious community (male or female). It’s not a unilateral “ok everywhere” thing, though.

If a spouse has been separated from the other even though they’ve children, can a man seek or get a monastic calling?
Do you feel this is for a Third Order or to join an in-house religious community?

They are extraordinarily rare exceptions. That being said, I happen to be friends with such a person… who is now a hermit and a priest… If you are serious about this for yourself, send me a message.

-K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back