Vow of Stability

• Thread starter Thread starter Robert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert

As I read about St. Vincent de Paul (27 September feastday), I learned he set up the Congregation of the Mission, priests who take vows of poverty, chastity, obedience, and stability. I’ve heard of the first three but never of a vow of stability. What is the vow of stability?

Thanks for any assistance.

Vincent made proper training of priests part of the work he did. In his day, many priests did not go to any type of seminary even remotely like what we have today. However, running a seminary to train the men who came to join his congregation was an expensive proposition and he was concerned that after being ordained or finishing a “refresher course” (sorry, I can’t think of a better phrase) when they professed to the CM, he didn’t want them jumping to other orders or changing assignments frequently, etc, as that would be detrimental to the work of the Mission. However, he also did not wish to lock them into a lifetime commitment with the Congregation. Hence, the vow of stability.

Note: I read a good bio of SVDP in the last year, and I may have a few of the details confused, so I welcome any corrections! I do believe that I have the general idea right.

I am a Benedictine Oblate, the secular group affiliated with the monastery of the Good Shepherd in Rio Grande City. We make an oblation, not a profession or vows of course, but in the spirit of the Benedictine vows of obedience, fidelity and stability. Stability is dealth with in the Rule of St. Benedict, in the beginning, when he talks about the types of monks. He condemn those who thather together to run things their own way, to eat drink and be merry and neglect spiritual things, and he also condemns those who wander from one monastery to the next looking for where the grass is greener. Stability is the vow that ties you to one monastery for life, unless that monastery disbands, or founds a daughter cell and you are sent there. Even oblates observe stability, no matter where I end up in the country I “belong” to this monastery. It also means that after a year of careful formation and discernment, I have adopted Benedictine spirituality and direction, based on the liturgy of the hours and lectio divina, so I will not jump around looking for the next group to join, the next spiritual fad or devotional practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back