Wandering Spirit

• Thread starter Thread starter sunset
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunset

In an attempt to keep this brief, I have wandered in and out of the Catholic faith my entire life. Through all my journying, I have never lost or waverd in my faith. In fact, I have learned so much about the practices and beliefs of other churches and denominations (Church of Christ, Methodist, Foursquare, Assembly of God). But at each place I am never completely satisfied and I find myself back at the Catholic church. Can others share similar experiences and some ideas on what I can do to ground myself more deeply in my Cathlic faith. I am tired of wandering and what it “real”!

I was raised in a basicly secular family, quite academic in orientation. My folks told me they didn’t teach me anything because they wanted me to choose for myself. When I began sniffing around the Catholic Church, due to the persuasive info in my friend’s Baltimore Catechism, they had a fit. They started taking my sisters to the Presb. church in the neighborhood, and I settled for the Episcopal church to keep the peace, sort of.
That worked for several years, until the Episcs started getting really goofy in the mid '70’s. By then I was married with children, and decided, along with my husband, that Catholic was the way to go. The problem there was that the program to get me into the Church was rather bizarre, but I thought that was just them. Not so. I managed to hang onto my faith until death, enemployment, and general faith confusion led me to “let go of the rope” so to speak. No one seemed to care, mass was celebrated with new variations all the time, and basic teachings were called into questlion constantly. I started going to the Presbys. just to be with my Dad. They were great friends and kept me from sinking out of Christianity altogether. After Dad’s death, I watched JPII’s funeral, and found myself Catholic all over again.
I appreciate the critical thinking of my youth, the gracefulness of the Anglicans, the fellowship of the Presbyterians. But I am so thankful to have been called back to the fullness of faith, the Eucharist, and the Sacrament of Penance. Catholics aren’t the most overly friendly, but I have found a parish that is quite orthodox, and at least somewhat friendly. I need that support and have also found the Immitation of Christ and the book on Providence by De Caussat (sp?) very helpful, not to mention these forums. I have no intention of wandering off again, and am also trying to keep myself grounded.

You may need to ground yourself in a solid Catholic spirituality. There are several available for lay people that have their origins or are affliated with an order, such as the Fransicans, the Dominicans, the Carmelites, etc. You might want to talk to your priest about Catholic Bible/prayer groups. Also, you should begin praying Morning and Evening Prayer, which is the daily prayer of the Church. It comes in many forms for lay people. One of the best comes in booklet form delivered to your house each month–it’s called Magnificat. It has both Morning and Evening Prayer in short form, the daily Mass readings, meditations on the daily Mass readings, the saint of the day, as well as other useful features.

40.png
sunset:
In an attempt to keep this brief, I have wandered in and out of the Catholic faith my entire life. Through all my journying, I have never lost or waverd in my faith. In fact, I have learned so much about the practices and beliefs of other churches and denominations (Church of Christ, Methodist, Foursquare, Assembly of God). But at each place I am never completely satisfied and I find myself back at the Catholic church. Can others share similar experiences and some ideas on what I can do to ground myself more deeply in my Cathlic faith. I am tired of wandering and what it “real”!
Make yourself a personal committment to get involved in a parish, go to Mass regularly, regularly receive the Sacraments and bring the practice of the Faith into your daily life. Become a Daily Catholic. Make your home a Catholic Home. If you do this for yourself, you will find you are falling deeply in love with the Holy Mother Church.

Hi Sunset,

I also wandered away from my catholic faith as a young adult, a time frame of about 15years, but never actually dabbled in protestant faiths…just walked away and rarely went to mass:(
I’m so blessed that I came back last year and I can’t seem to get enough of it {I was poorly catechized} as a young child…I now read books all the time and the best ones that have helped me dig deeper into my Catholic faith are:
The Lamb’s Supper (Heaven on Earth) by Scott Hahn
I’m Not Being Fed! by Jeff Cavins (very good)
also my daily prayers…I make it short in the morning, but I almost always cross myself just when I wake up.
I ask Holy Mary our blessed Lady to help me always seek Jesus in my heart and recongnize him as my Lord, my God and my loving Saviour.:bowdown2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back