D
dseder
Guest
So here’s my dilemma in a nutshell…
I want to convert to the Catholic faith - I was brought up in a protestant church (Nazarene, then Church of God, then Assemblies of God … now non-denominational). I’ve never been happy with the practices of the protestant church - I have a religion major so I could go on about what I don’t agree with in the protestant church. For the past five years, I have been feeling more and more called to Catholicism - I’ve been studying it both online and in books. I have a lot of practices that I do that are more Catholic in origin (prayer beads, etc.) than protestant - especially non-denominational.
The issue is my wife and I have been married for 12 years. We have a 3-yr old now. I don’t want to bring confusion into the home. I would have to find a way to attend Mass during the week and not bring my wife into it…she was raised and still is a very devout pentecostal. She would not want my son to be Catholic. She’s not opposed to Catholicism, just she is not familiar and it is not “her thing.” (I did manage to hang a crucifix in my son’s bedroom and she has no issues with that!). I would have to work this by attending church with her - thus maintaining a continuity in the family and not confusing my son.
So what do I do? I’m initiating a meeting with a Priest to see what is the best road. Should I convert even though my family won’t follow me? Should I just stay out of it and maintain my religious beliefs as I do?
I want to convert to the Catholic faith - I was brought up in a protestant church (Nazarene, then Church of God, then Assemblies of God … now non-denominational). I’ve never been happy with the practices of the protestant church - I have a religion major so I could go on about what I don’t agree with in the protestant church. For the past five years, I have been feeling more and more called to Catholicism - I’ve been studying it both online and in books. I have a lot of practices that I do that are more Catholic in origin (prayer beads, etc.) than protestant - especially non-denominational.
The issue is my wife and I have been married for 12 years. We have a 3-yr old now. I don’t want to bring confusion into the home. I would have to find a way to attend Mass during the week and not bring my wife into it…she was raised and still is a very devout pentecostal. She would not want my son to be Catholic. She’s not opposed to Catholicism, just she is not familiar and it is not “her thing.” (I did manage to hang a crucifix in my son’s bedroom and she has no issues with that!). I would have to work this by attending church with her - thus maintaining a continuity in the family and not confusing my son.
So what do I do? I’m initiating a meeting with a Priest to see what is the best road. Should I convert even though my family won’t follow me? Should I just stay out of it and maintain my religious beliefs as I do?