Want a Spiritual Advisor

• Thread starter Thread starter BonnieBj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BonnieBj

I feel that I need to have a spiritual advisor. I have recently returned to the Church and my parish doesn’t seem to have anything like that, other than RCIA and I want a one-on-one situation. I have many things that I have questions about, and I am serious about study and developing my spritual self. I have also been taught some things in error which I want to avoid in future. I want to have a woman, lay or religious. I am seriously considering entering the inquiry phase to become a Benedictine Oblate. But I don’t want to wait to get an advisor; I really need one now.

Good for you. There is another thread that offered all kinds of solutions and web sites in seeking a spiritual director. One of the best groups in our diocese are from the Order of Disciples of The Divine Master. This is a group of nuns that practice perpetual adoration. They offer professional direction.

Good luck in your search. May God bless you for your zeal to discern his will in your life.

Deacon Tony

I just want to offer a couple of quick points, not a total answer by any means. First, a spiritual advisor is hard to come by, as many saints have observed. However, while I am critical of modernists, I was once, I admit it, helped by a modernist priest, or a priest who seems modernist. I was having a difficulty, and his answer got me through. It was, I think, an unnecessary digression and I would have got through anyway. But from that experience I would say, shop around a bit, and talk to different priests as you are exposed to them. Ask questions in the confessional as well. Second, be sure to read good books. Check Tan Books for Tanquerey’s The Spiritual Life, which is a wonderful compendium. A book is by no means a substitute for a spiritual advisor, but there is much that is known about spiritual growth, and this knowledge has been written down and is very accessible. As you accumulate that knowledge, and apply it, you will find it easier to assimilate (or reject) things that advisors and would-be advisors tell you. Fr. Thomas Dubay, in his book about spiritual guidance, points out that reading is very helpful, and that one who reads books is not really going it alone. Third, here are two quick facts you may have found already. (a) One of the objectives in spiritual guidance is to identify and work on the predominant fault. It is pretty hard, from what I understand, to identify one’s own predominant fault. (b) Spiritual progress is comprised of the *purgative, *the illuminative, and the unitive ways. Spiritual books often organize themselves around ideas related to these phases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back